NJTramcar

Jazzing up broiled fluke recipe wanted

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Trying to eat better and broed fluke is better for me than fried.

Anyone have a good broiled recipe?

Here is a favorite of mine.

Cut off about 2-3 ounces of the tail end of the filet or buy a 1/4 pound of cleaned shrimp.  Coarsely chop the fluke or shrimp and place it in a food processor with 1/4 teaspoon off salt, a pinch of pepper and a  tablespoon of heavy cream or mayonnaise.  Give it several pulses until you have a smooth paste.

Dry the filet with a paper towel, lightly season with salt and pepper then spread the paste on top of the filet.

Finely crush some almonds or pistachio nuts and sprinkle the nuts on top of the filet pressing them into the coating.

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Using an oven proof pan over medium high heat add a tablespoon of canola oil. When oil shimmers place the filet coated side down.  Slowly sear for 2 minutes until the top is nicely toasted.  Do not let it burn.

Carefully flip and place in the oven add bake 4-5 minutes.  Remove fish from oven, transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

Place pan on stove top over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of finely diced shallots.  Saute shallots for 2 minutes and add 1/4 cup dry vermouth.  Reduce heat and simmer  until reduced by half.  Add a tablespoon of unsalted butter and stir until melted.  Pour sauce over fish and enjoy.

17 hours ago, Al Goldberg said:

Here is a favorite of mine.

Cut off about 2-3 ounces of the tail end of the filet or buy a 1/4 pound of cleaned shrimp.  Coarsely chop the fluke or shrimp and place it in a food processor with 1/4 teaspoon off salt, a pinch of pepper and a  tablespoon of heavy cream or mayonnaise.  Give it several pulses until you have a smooth paste.

Dry the filet with a paper towel, lightly season with salt and pepper then spread the paste on top of the filet.

Finely crush some almonds or pistachio nuts and sprinkle the nuts on top of the filet pressing them into the coating.

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Using an oven proof pan over medium high heat add a tablespoon of canola oil. When oil shimmers place the filet coated side down.  Slowly sear for 2 minutes until the top is nicely toasted.  Do not let it burn.

Carefully flip and place in the oven add bake 4-5 minutes.  Remove fish from oven, transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

Place pan on stove top over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of finely diced shallots.  Saute shallots for 2 minutes and add 1/4 cup dry vermouth.  Reduce heat and simmer  until reduced by half.  Add a tablespoon of unsalted butter and stir until melted.  Pour sauce over fish and enjoy.

You're an excellent cook.

I understand you also build rods?

Sprinkled JO crab seasoning on filets and popped them onto oven last night.  Came out very good.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:20 PM, Kml said:

First time ever I grilled a whole fluke. Scaled and gutted and cooked over hot coals. It was really good. 

AA6341BC-F540-41F0-A6D7-87FEF2A9AEBF.jpeg

Lemon, butter, anything or as is?

56 mins ago, NJTramcar said:

Lemon, butter, anything or as is?

Olive oil on both sides while seasoning. 

Oil mop the grill grates before setting the fish on the grill. 

Lemon on the plate when serving is what I did.