Fishaholic Ivan

What backing...dacron or braid ?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Horribly long? Absolutely not.

It depends. If you can make the lever short, then not. But if not possible, then 11’ is horribly long unless it bends easily very much below the hand and right above it.

The worst fight of my life was with a 9’ popping rod. Absolutely horrible to fight a 60lb+ YFT since I did not know how to or dare to high stick. Stiff rod almost all the way up. Impossible to put heavy pressure on deep diving fish without high sticking. My back was aching after that fish. Stuck to fly gear rest of that trip. Nowadays I can whip twice the size tuna in half the time with less than half the effort with rods that have very short effective length when pulling the fish up.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:58 PM, Fishaholic Ivan said:

What's your favorite dacron and braid ?

I use Wulff or Rio dacron,but like to use braid to put more yrds on small capacity reel...what you guys prefer?Thank you

I've evolved to using braid, though the original Cortland Micronite fly line backing (first run / not the fastest stuff) was great.

Ergonomically I would look at the thickness and silkiness of the line. You get a silky feeling when the GSP strands & weave per inch is high. I think the Hatch stuff which is very silky to feel but very low diameter in thickness is a 6 strand woven braid. Previously I was using Sufix Performance braid @ 65lbs test and it too is a 6 strand weave with a coating.

I'm now using Cortland C16 braid @ 80lbs test ... with a working diameter of 30lbs test SA Dacron. I handles great and knots well with a variety of fly lines because it is not too thin (cutting) of a braid. Just my 2 cents.

20 hours ago, puppet said:

@Drew C.
@stormy monday
Thanks. I also suspect the interval and probability of hooking a 30-40# fish and landing it is incredibly low...especially if one has more line out....so what is the point of having it...

@sms

I have seen 200 -300 yard spools of 80-100# braid sell for 11 dollars on amazon.  The prices fluctuate line the stock market but if you are patient it can be less expensive than dacron.

Drew was noting spinning gear not a flyrod. With spinning my drag is locked down and it is rare that any fish pulls more than a couple feet.  I have landed fish in the 40# class on spinning without much line loss. Occassionally i have hooked fish that have taken a lot more line but not exceeding 60 foot runs.  I suspect they are well over 40#....but have yet to land one of these larger runners.

I hope a get the thrill of getting a fish into my backing.  I do enjoy the standoff even with a teen fish...so cannot wait to experience something with more power.

That's been my experience with spin. Also regarding current, many of my bigger fish (over 40") have come in current places but those big fish tend to feed as the current dies or slacks. Not much action in raging current with bigger fish.

Ultimately, my point is for what we do are in the NE you really don't need a lot of backing (tuna aside, even then that's a up/down thing generally). Bass don't run much, especially the bigger fish. Bluefish will certainly run in flats situations, but really not that far still. So we're left with albies and their runs are greatly over exaggerated. Then only fish that I've caught here in the NE that dumped serious backing are cow nosed rays. They'll take 50 yards or maybe a little more.

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

That's been my experience with spin. Also regarding current, many of my bigger fish (over 40") have come in current places but those big fish tend to feed as the current dies or slacks. Not much action in raging current with bigger fish.

Ultimately, my point is for what we do are in the NE you really don't need a lot of backing (tuna aside, even then that's a up/down thing generally). Bass don't run much, especially the bigger fish. Bluefish will certainly run in flats situations, but really not that far still. So we're left with albies and their runs are greatly over exaggerated. Then only fish that I've caught here in the NE that dumped serious backing are cow nosed rays. They'll take 50 yards or maybe a little more.

How I long for the days of bluefish on the flats in NH and Maine, but that doesn't happen much anymore if at all. A 36" blue on an 8 weight in 5' of water can run pretty good, but what we often see here is multiple shorter runs; take out 30 yds of backing, you recover 10 of it, fish runs another 20, etc. I'm not complaining mind you - I've had full seasons lately where my backing stays dry. I think all runs are exaggerated, fishing writers take a lot of poetic license lol. Hell I guess we all do! Saw a guy accidentally foul hook a sturgeon while shad fishing - THAT fish took backing!!

Someone mentioned Sufix Performance braid (the original Sufix).  I really like it in 65lb for reels in the 9-11 wt class.  Soft, relatively easy on fingers, and doesn't dig all that much.  Have to be careful with knots though when the braid is new, as it is coated and somewhat slippery.  For smaller reels, I tend to use 20lb (white) dacron.  I like white because if the backing does get rotten you can usually see some discoloration.

On 7/27/2021 at 0:03 PM, KironaFly said:

I've evolved to using braid, though the original Cortland Micronite fly line backing (first run / not the latter version / stuff) was great.

Ergonomically I would look at the thickness and silkiness of the line. You get a silky feeling when the GSP strands & weave per inch is high. I think the Hatch stuff, which is very silky to feel but very low diameter in thickness is a 6 strand woven braid. Previously I was using Sufix Performance braid @ 65lbs test and it too is a 6 strand weave with a coating.

I'm now using Cortland C16 braid @ 80lbs test ... with a working diameter of 30lbs test SA Dacron. I handles great and knots well with a variety of fly lines because it is not too thin (cutting into fly lines) of a braid. Just my 2 cents.

Another reason to consider braid is that it let’s you use a smaller reel.

Smaller reels are lighter.

Lighter reels improve casting feedback which I find important.

You give up some retrieve speed although braid loses less spool diameter as a fish runs.  Line burying is not an issue with inshore fish including albies….at least the ones we have in New England. 

Seagar threadlock seems a popular choice with the Tarpon guys and allows spliced connections.  I just use Diawa Samurai braid ( a high end 8 strand line) in 40 or 55# test which I salvage from midspool when I change line on my spinning surf setups.  It has worked well.  

Just to add another angle to the discussion - it could also depend on the type of fly line you're using. I have 3 hatch 5 mid arbor (gen 2) fly reels, one each with an integrated fast sink shooting head,  a sci angler clear int line, and the last with an airflo striper/coastal floater (all set up to use as a 7 weight)...and with both the integrated shooting head (rio coldwater striper) and int lines, I'm able to fit well into excess of 200 yards of dacron. The one with the floating line required gel spun to meet my personal preference of having at least 200 yards of backing. While I don't know this for sure, I'm guessing that the diameter of gel spun and braided line is roughly equivalent ...While these reels don't have a lot of 'big fish pulling' experience, they do have some limited albie experience (limited = I hooked 2 on one of those reels, successfully landing one of these fish....But using a 7 weight rod is not my typical choice for albie fishing)

I use braid on all my saltwater reels spinning to there’s some crazy thoughts on it here I’ve never had it “dig in” and get stuck not once and I’ve used it for over 20 years can’t say that with Dacron crap rots and will break when you least expect it! Seen it happen when guys are fishing for albies .

Braid advantages far outweigh the disadvantages if your worried about some give use a Bimini knot!

and burning your fingers lol keep them off when fish runs that’s all 

oh and my braid on one reel is 20 years old and has caught hundreds of Albies  not one backing problem.

Edited by mkus

On 7/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, sms said:

It depends. If you can make the lever short, then not. But if not possible, then 11’ is horribly long unless it bends easily very much below the hand and right above it.

The worst fight of my life was with a 9’ popping rod. Absolutely horrible to fight a 60lb+ YFT since I did not know how to or dare to high stick. Stiff rod almost all the way up. Impossible to put heavy pressure on deep diving fish without high sticking. My back was aching after that fish. Stuck to fly gear rest of that trip. Nowadays I can whip twice the size tuna in half the time with less than half the effort with rods that have very short effective length when pulling the fish up.

Are you talking about fly or spinning rod?  120# yft on fly rod would be a brutally long day

43 mins ago, ferret said:

Are you talking about fly or spinning rod?  120# yft on fly rod would be a brutally 

Edited by mkus

5 hours ago, ferret said:

Are you talking about fly or spinning rod?  120# yft on fly rod would be a brutally long day

Not necessarily that long. Or brutal. Although with that size range they haven’t been YFT but BFT. Yes, on fly. We have not weighed them (only C&R allowed), but according to lengths the bigger ones have been surprisingly large when checking from length to weight charts/tables.

Umm I’m surprised no one pointed this out but Dacron is, eh hem, braided. So isn’t the question really what do you want your braid made out of?

Full disclosure, my wife calls me Captain Obvious, among other things I won’t mention here.