Funnyfish 2021

Rate this topic

983 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, notime said:

Ton off south shore of RI last week.  

Far out or can shore guys reach?

14 mins ago, foxfai said:

Far out or can shore guys reach?

I was in a boat but they ran close to shore.   

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Anyone catching any white perch?

Actually - I did catch one on Saturday...was kind of surprised as I caught in a local metrowest river that was running low and stagnant...and I typically run into them in this river while the water is still on the cooler side in late spring/early summer

21 hours ago, rst3 said:

Same tin as last season? The one with the always pristine Iranian deck carpet? 

nadia-01-carpetright-rugs-house-beautiful-collection-1555981003.jpg.1a066e6de151bbcfb2ea3a6f5d855e21.jpg

lol

Considering the large number of fish that came on board..how you ever managed to keep that thing so tidy is beyond my comprehension 

Just cleaned the carpet last weekend ;). she gets messy but I try to keep it clean. On the water before sunrise and usually off by 11. Boat is flushed and cleaned by 1230. That's my routine 

I hit the south side on Sunday at a spot where I get blues & funny fish. The multiple days of a SW wind didn't help as much as I hoped. I alternated between my bluefish rod and my funny fish rod but didn't see anything.

Frigate Mackerel vs Bullet Mackerel

Frigate Mackerel - Auxis thazard Frigate Mackerel – Auxis thazard

This article aims to guide you in properly identifying the Frigate Mackerel, Auxis thazard thazard, from the almost identical Bullet Mackerel, Auxis rochei rochei. These two scombrids are often confused with each other, and with the Little Tunny, Euthynnus alletteratus, by everyone from anglers to fisheries professionals. After reading this however, you should be able to correctly identify the subtleties that distinguish these species from each other.

Bullet Mackerel - Auxis rochei Bullet Mackerel – Auxis rochei

16 hours ago, Sailah said:

Everglades 243

IMG_1883.jpg

Awesome ride! Windshield slides up and down correct?

44 mins ago, DAQ said:

Awesome ride! Windshield slides up and down correct?

Yeah took it out tonight in Boston was super windy and rough.   Ate it up.   Going to love this in cape chop.

1 min ago, Sailah said:

Yeah took it out tonight in Boston was super windy and rough.   Ate it up.   Going to love this in cape chop.

Nice. Such a good option, surprised it is not offered by more manufacturers. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, albacized said:

Here’s a pic of a bullet tuna and chub mackerel I’ve caught during the past several years 

F5A5570E-2885-4BB0-B18B-05C6BA1638D1.jpeg

E4B9E28C-99D4-43CD-B08A-6E4E15F7869C.jpeg

2 hours ago, slacktide said:

Frigate Mackerel - Auxis thazard Frigate Mackerel – Auxis thazard

This article aims to guide you in properly identifying the Frigate Mackerel, Auxis thazard thazard, from the almost identical Bullet Mackerel, Auxis rochei rochei. These two scombrids are often confused with each other, and with the Little Tunny, Euthynnus alletteratus, by everyone from anglers to fisheries professionals. After reading this however, you should be able to correctly identify the subtleties that distinguish these species from each other.

Bullet Mackerel - Auxis rochei Bullet Mackerel – Auxis rochei

How can I target these species? 

7 hours ago, bassturds said:

How can I target these species? 

Pretty much the same way you would for bonito and false albacore - I find the bullet tuna to be the more finicky of the two. Plus their schools move around far more erratically. If you think you have a good shot at leading a particular school, they'll change direction on a dime. I fly fish and I found that if I just kept blind casting while they were around, I would eventually intercept them,

While I'd recommend small metals/jigs for chub mackerel, the one in the pic above was caught on an albie snack....but either way, they seem to be by far the easier to catch

1 hour ago, albacized said:

Pretty much the same way you would for bonito and false albacore - I find the bullet tuna to be the more finicky of the two. Plus their schools move around far more erratically. If you think you have a good shot at leading a particular school, they'll change direction on a dime. I fly fish and I found that if I just kept blind casting while they were around, I would eventually intercept them,

While I'd recommend small metals/jigs for chub mackerel, the one in the pic above was caught on an albie snack....but either way, they seem to be by far the easier to catch

From my 2 trips to RI for chub Macks I can definitely see how fast they turn. Really cool to watch. Definitely different feeding patterns then albies and bones. Just a bunch of white water. 

I would love to cross off King Macs, frigate and bullets off my species list