SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Funnyfish 2021

Rate this topic

983 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've already gone hunting for bones twice to no avail. Next trip for me is Sunday so I'll start the thread then if I catch one :)

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

I will be out in the yak tomorrow.   Huge longshot, but who knows.  Time to change the avatar.

17 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

I will be out in the yak tomorrow.   Huge longshot, but who knows.  Time to change the avatar.

Dont think it would be a huge longshot from a boat for bones. GL.

3 mins ago, bassturds said:

Chub Mack’s are down in RI. Saw them 2 weeks ago

Thats a good sign, potential precursor to Albert's arrival.

13 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Thats a good sign, potential precursor to Albert's arrival.

Hope so. Big schools of them, I couldn’t get them . The weeds are so bad  I had no shot to get my lure into them

I never understood the attraction? I chased them with the 8wt, caught some, and it was ok.  But I lost interest when I learned not all  survive release, and simply sank to the bottom.

But to each his own I suppose.

Same thing could be said about any fishing experience. Canal? Meh. Stand on a rock, toss out a plug, catch a fish. Although I must say, I have yet to see a couple fat guys involved in a physical altercation over albies. Sure it's coming though.

15 mins ago, newcut said:

I have yet to see a couple fat guys involved in a physical altercation over albies. Sure it's coming though.

Last year a well known guide threatened to run down a kayaker with his power boat so you have that.  :)

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

I never understood the attraction? I chased them with the 8wt, caught some, and it was ok.  But I lost interest when I learned not all  survive release, and simply sank to the bottom.

But to each his own I suppose.

Same could be said for stripers. If you believe the hype on mortality, up to 9% of striper perish after being caught.

Albies will put a striper to shame in the fight department, and they don't appear to be in trouble regarding the stocks.  And they can be a lot harder to catch, which make it even sweeter when you crack the code!

19 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Same could be said for stripers. If you believe the hype on mortality, up to 9% of striper perish after being caught.

Albies will put a striper to shame in the fight department, and they don't appear to be in trouble regarding the stocks.  And they can be a lot harder to catch, which make it even sweeter when you crack the code!

Yup. It's more of "Yay I caught one" kinda thing. Or something like on a bucket list.

12 mins ago, foxfai said:

Yup. It's more of "Yay I caught one" kinda thing. Or something like on a bucket list.

I would bet that 5% of the fisherman catch 99% of the albies.  Its definitely an art that takes time to figure out.  It also pays to have a good network of like minded people who will share info with their group only.  This pertains even more when fishing primarily from a yak.

Ive heard all the arguments about how great they are, and Ive caught them on my fly rod almost in my front yard.

Just not my cup of tea.  I really enjoy night fishing. Albies and bonito are not really a nocturnal fish.

Again, to each his own. If you enjoy it, more power to you. 

Posted (edited)

For me it's the ambience, the understated urgency of what for most of us is the finale for the season. It's those cold clear crisp mornings, somehow the moon and stars seem extra brilliant. The fact that you now can get your Dunks before shoving off, cause it's still dark a good bit past when they open. Talk about luxury! 

The lot,  the ramp are nearly deserted.....well, weekdays anyways.

All that and on appropriate tackle that initial first run never gets old..

For me, especially as I've gotten old, they are the ultimate game fish around here. As has been written before they pack all the experience of fishing for bluefin into a compact (somewhat) economical package that (probably) won't result in you lying on the deck clutching your chest, breathing your last.

In retrospect maybe not a bad way to go.

Edited by newcut