SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Funnyfish 2021

Rate this topic

668 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Went out early this morning but didn’t see much initially, other than a pile of 50 boats off in one direction. Naturally, I went the other way. While slowly idling along I saw fish pop here and there but the feeds weren’t targetable. I resorted to blind casting but that didn’t produce either. I then spotted a few birds in the distance so I made a move toward them, finding a small school of peanuts being corralled and driven hard to the surface. The fish weren’t tearing through at the surface but I could see them flashing below. I took a shot and hooked up the instant the fly hit the water. I had the fish on for a minute and pulled the hook, but the bait ball was just off my stern. I made a quick backhand cast and once again immediately hooked up. I got a few fish like this, then suddenly they began began going off all around me. I proceeded to beat the hell out of them with the fly rod for a few hours. Only one other boat around and we never came within 100 yards of one another. There were some blitz feeds, but the most receptive fish were those balling up small groups of peanuts at the surface. All it took was putting the fly near the swarm of bait and they took it, or at least expressed interest. I landed a bunch, dropped a few, had a ton of swipes, and blew plenty of easy shots getting the line tangled in the cleats. Fly fishing in a towing vessel isn’t without its challenges. 

C4ACD54E-516A-447C-AF7B-4350C46FBB80.jpeg

I watched the red and yellow b oat rafted together on Saturday - not much runnin' and gunnin' going on   :D

I was on shore doing some recognizance

34 mins ago, Gloucester2 said:

I watched the red and yellow b oat rafted together on Saturday - not much runnin' and gunnin' going on   :D

I was on shore doing some recognizance

It sounds like you were seeing the guys over in Falmouth. They usually post up in Woods Hole in anticipation of some poor soul neglecting a navigational aid. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

You gotta move that bone SP minnow around on the bench so it doesn’t look like the same photo everyday. :laugh:

lol I actually put that away this boat rinsing so won't be seeing that again :laugh: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Wild caught Buffalo in a Massachusetts shop?

That's what they advertise it as. The "bonito" look pretty stout.

Edited by DAQ

5 mins ago, DAQ said:

That's what they advertise it as. The "bonito" look pretty stout.

I get that the bonito are false albacore but those buffalo don't look like they have whiskers. Carp have whiskers, buffalo don't. 

Buffalo are commercially harvested in the Midwest and Canada so it's not impossible, just seems far from their home waters.