FlyfishCT87

Streamer Fishing-7wt?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

So I am thinking about getting into Streamer fishing and wanted to pick some peoples brains on it. I am looking to throw those big streamers (perhaps also articulated) for trout and also bass on some lakes. What would you recomend for a rod wt/gear set up (leader, line etc). Saw online a Kelly Gallup bank robber 7wt for around 200 so wanted to get some opinions before i pulled the trigger.

Thanks!

Just watched the video. If you want to go with the blank action descriptions and that’s suits you and you can’t get your hands on one first then why not. $200 is not expensive these days.

The rod does not control your loop size. That’s BS. We control the loop dimensions.

Same with accuracy that’s down to the caster not the rod. Can’t recall any rod of mine no matter how much I paid for them that contributed much if any to accuracy.

Getting the right line is more important if you want to cast heavy waterlogged streamers.

St Croix make good rods and this could just be up the right alley.

I know of other rods much faster that are touted as good for streamers but they cost $850 a pop. For me it’s a no brainer.

mike

thanks mike. I dont believe all that mumbo jumbo advertisement (believe me and you are on the same team where the best investment in fly fishing is casting lessons, but thats for another thread). Prob will pull the trigger in the next day or so. Fiancé is away so about the time she gets back she wont notice a new fly tube at the apt :) 

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Just watched the video. If you want to go with the blank action descriptions and that’s suits you and you can’t get your hands on one first then why not. $200 is not expensive these days.

The rod does not control your loop size. That’s BS. We control the loop dimensions.

Same with accuracy that’s down to the caster not the rod. Can’t recall any rod of mine no matter how much I paid for them that contributed much if any to accuracy.

Getting the right line is more important if you want to cast heavy waterlogged streamers.

St Croix make good rods and this could just be up the right alley.

I know of other rods much faster that are touted as good for streamers but they cost $850 a pop. For me it’s a no brainer.

mike

Gotta love the baseless marketing hype.

It may well be a nice rod but as  Mike said, when it comes to casting it’s the Indian, not the arrow. 

12 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Where do you fish mainly?

think we fish the same areas. Farmington and Housatonic Rivers in

11 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Gotta love the baseless marketing hype.

It may well be a nice rod but as  Mike said, when it comes to casting it’s the Indian, not the arrow. 

If the marketing was true, all of us would only have a couple of rods in stead of double digits since they all claim to make you cast better haha...

20 mins ago, FlyfishCT87 said:

If the marketing was true, all of us would only have a couple of rods in stead of double digits since they all claim to make you cast better haha...

Very true, many of are always searching for the next best thing, myself included. 

I fish a 6 for the farmy, not throwing articulated tho. I do throw some large buck tail deceivers. 

27 mins ago, FlyfishCT87 said:

I think  I would take a punt on this rod. If you hated it you would get at least half your money back.

7 wt is good for streamers. It is likely also to be good with an 8 line which is even better. But I would not want an 8 wt rod.

Good luck. I have good vibes.

Mike

I do most streamer fishing in freshwater with a vintage fenwick ff807. If I had more time to fish and didn’t care so much about the expense I’d buy a modern glass 7wt in 3 or 4 piece configuration from any mid to high end manufacturer. 5 or 6 wt in glass or graphite don’t cut it for even mid sized flies (6 or 8).

Here’s why glass: even fishing big streamers 90% of the fish I catch are regular size. The rod bends nicely keeping the line tight and fish hooked. It’s fun to catch a 12” fish on my glass 7wt. It’s not with my graphite 7 wt. I can cast some very big flies (freshwater) with the glass 7 wt as well.

I prefer a rod with slightly stronger tip and deeper flex for tips and/or big weighted flies.  Not mushy, but some give.  The strong tip helps pull out sunken stuff and the flex reduces line kick.  

On 7/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, FlyfishCT87 said:

Hi All,

So I am thinking about getting into Streamer fishing and wanted to pick some peoples brains on it. I am looking to throw those big streamers (perhaps also articulated) for trout and also bass on some lakes. What would you recomend for a rod wt/gear set up (leader, line etc). Saw online a Kelly Gallup bank robber 7wt for around 200 so wanted to get some opinions before i pulled the trigger.

Thanks!

you can fly fish with spining rod,any rod what you redy have,you can use spining reel or if you have fly reel you put on spining rod fly reel.

i can cast fly beter from spining rod with fly line then you can cast from fly rod.

you can use any line ,braid,mono,fly line.

the main think.

put on the line shooting head,the shooting head make that easy and simple to cast.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, FlyfishCT87 said:

Hi All,

Thanks!

STP still has in stock a Hardy Demon Switch 10.5 foot 5/6 4 piece for $250…. Which when single hand / overhead casting the rod behaves like a 10ft single hand 8 weight fly rod. The rod is an awesome streamer rod. A modern Striper Moon unit for sure!

I don’t make recommendations often as fly casting / fishing is a very personal thing .. but currently for the money there’s not a better rod for streamer fishing a tidal pond outflow. IMHO :cool:

IMG_5673.JPG.08cc290df0fd2020c82d95c9cfba5325.JPG

The Lamson Waterworks G5 reels are on sale too. Very light weight (6 ounces). Balances out quite well on this rod. It holds 200 yards of Hatch GSP 65lbs test backing. The fly line on it is RIO Outbound WFFI 8wt @ 330 grain head section. The rod & reel is as light as it can get ... the rod effortlessly launches the RIO Outbound line 100 ft. Easy Peasy.

Edited by KironaFly
Added picture & content

Years ago I got a couple of Loomis Imx blanks and had a rod built with them.

The rod built was a 9ft 7 wgt and I had planned to fish it in estuaries.  It didn’t have 

enough backbone to throw anything large and sometimes the ocean breezes played havoc with my casting but I will say that wrong is a kick ass large sweet water rod that is just great for LMB and it throws some nice streamers and bugs. It’s one of my favorites and with emerald wraps and gold guides it’s a beauty.

19 hours ago, Orca said:

Years ago I got a couple of Loomis Imx blanks and had a rod built with them.

The rod built was a 9ft 7 wgt and I had planned to fish it in estuaries.  It didn’t have 

enough backbone to throw anything large and sometimes the ocean breezes played havoc with my casting but I will say that wrong is a kick ass large sweet water rod that is just great for LMB and it throws some nice streamers and bugs. It’s one of my favorites and with emerald wraps and gold guides it’s a beauty.

I have a factory 10ft 7wt G Loomis IMX rod that I'm thinking of modifying (upgrade guides). You should post a pic of your green & gold unit.