Mainiac

Going tomorrow.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

It'll be the first time out for my in three weeks. I've been hearing people getting a few here and there. Not expecting much but will report.

Four (4) hours and one 15 inch fish to show for it. Like the striped bass fishery I'm all done. It ain't worth the effort anymore.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Head North!!  1st 3 casts this AM were a 25, 27 & 26" fish.  The 25 had a stump of a Hudson River Foundation tag in it's gut, so someone must have caught it and sent in the cut-off tag.  Probably not me, because I cut them off very close to the skin, and try to push them into the abdominal cavity...

Then the sun got high and shut things down so I moved to a local rat hole and got 6 more fish between 17 - 21" waiting for the water to fill in around my dock...

Edited by Roccus7

4 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Four (4) hours and one 15 inch fish to show for it. Like the striped bass fishery I'm all done. It ain't worth the effort anymore.

Unreal, I just got a CLEANER bill of health as well. I will fish here and there, but I am not going to fight for parking spots any more, travel 3 days looking,  just really sad to see what used to be a blast doing, go to hell. I will try for some blues that are so called on the move and if they will be around at all, it will be soon. :waah:

On 7/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, Mainiac said:

I quit 2 years ago.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, Mainiac said:

Same here still, If there's a technique I've tried it, I just go to smoke now. Fished fresh mackerel today on a supposed to be hot spot. Zippo/2 crabs. 2 boats liv lining before I hiked more than I will ever again at 5 am did NOTHING. When I go up on the jetty same thing. It's hit and miss. There's still no birds on the beach, or signs of any life.A few guys are getting schoolies doing the 9-3 night times.Fly rod ,small flies working best on dinks. Avg. 1 fish an outing:banghd:    :rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spent 2 days in a southern Maine location with the wife and kids, and wasted two mornings sleep in for exactly 3 dinks total.  Really could’ve used the recharge too, but internal clock dragged my arzz out of bed in the hope of some decent fish. Perfect conditions, tide, and absolutely beautiful sun rises, but no real fish. Really depressing how terrible that fishery has become. Almost desolate.

Edited by Mack26

2 mins ago, RAW said:

Your not alone!. I wouldn't  even call it paying dues! We all paid in full long ago. :agree:

Been going there for many years, and have had some epic nights, but it is a sign of the times for sure. Really sad. And… it’s Monday again! :banghd:

Going by last years log, IMO, we are about 3 to 4 weeks from the fall run starting...Last august for a few days, then sporadic fishing from there on out...If you are not out there everyday after that, then its as good as over..

It is good as over because it never began.

It's over......the fat lady really is singing. Right now.

3 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

Going by last years log, IMO, we are about 3 to 4 weeks from the fall run starting...Last august for a few days, then sporadic fishing from there on out...If you are not out there everyday after that, then its as good as over..

I think you’re right on with that assessment. Last year around mid August, we did a few days and fished hard at night, and caught a some mid teen fish, but went back a couple of weeks later, and not a sniff. It seems earlier every year, or just less fish. I think the latter.

Just now, Mack26 said:

I think you’re right on with that assessment. Last year around mid August, we did a few days and fished hard at night, and caught a some mid teen fish, but went back a couple of weeks later, and not a sniff. It seems earlier every year, or just less fish. I think the latter.

I wont get into alot of details, but I have seen some pics of nice fish caught at night, from midnight to about 4 am the last couple of weeks, but you have to work for them. I am trying to get my health back, so I will not be putting in a lot of time from here on out...Harder and harder every year...

44 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

I wont get into alot of details, but I have seen some pics of nice fish caught at night, from midnight to about 4 am the last couple of weeks, but you have to work for them. I am trying to get my health back, so I will not be putting in a lot of time from here on out...Harder and harder every year...

Was talking to a boat guy while getting undressed, and said he’s been doing well offshore. Couple of 40’s over the last couple of weeks.

Best of luck with continued good health, and hope you get into them. It should improve if it’s going to in the next month, depending on the weather pattern.