East Tide

Eels

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I hate fishing small eels, especially since I'm  only back east to fish 2 weeks a year at most. 

Does anybody know any upper cape shops that sell select size eels or anyone that has any in a tank they'd like to sell for a premium?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Most shops will cull you selects if you ask nicely and they aren't busy helping the washashores and tourists. Having a reputation or bit of rapport with the guys helps too....

Edited by Sandbar1

7 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Most shops will cull you selects if you ask nicely and they aren't busy helping the washashores and tourists. Having a reputation or bit of rapport with the guys helps too....

I used to be one of those guys. I live 1500 miles away now! I know how it works so that's why I was asking for some help.

40 mins ago, East Tide said:

I used to be one of those guys. I live 1500 miles away now! I know how it works so that's why I was asking for some help.

Riverview Bait and Tackle in Yarmouth always have nice eels, the guys in there are good $hits too. 

1 hour ago, East Tide said:

Just ask the clerk to get you what you specifically want. They are usually very receptive and patient with you if not too busy. However selection has been poor in the last couple of years so I go on delivery day to optimize.

I trapped a handful of eels over the past two seasons.  These suckers were jumbos, with some over 2ft long and girthy.  Never caught anything on them.  But the eels from a local bait store that average 10" to 14" got eaten by some very big stripers and blues.  Good luck with whatever you find.

13 mins ago, Teambeefmaster said:

I trapped a handful of eels over the past two seasons.  These suckers were jumbos, with some over 2ft long and girthy.  Never caught anything on them.  But the eels from a local bait store that average 10" to 14" got eaten by some very big stripers and blues.  Good luck with whatever you find.

10-14" is perfect. I used to toss the occasional super jumbo with luck too. The ones I have been getting are 6-8" and too light.