ING

Loose winding

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I am winding a new braid on Curado reel, I creating some tension and get dense winding. While fishing after retrieving winding became loose and some coils  fall through creating bird nest at follow casting. How to avoid that? To keep line between fingers?

Edited by ING

First off when installing braid a mono base is recommended for the braid not to slip on spool itself. All that’s needed is a few layers then splice in the braid. Apply as much tension as your fingertips can stand and more. It can’t be tight enough. When casting plugs add a little spool tension (reel up lure to Rod tip hit free spool adjust lure drop so lure falls slowly) now try casting.  Add/subtract thumb tension to control back lashing. And practice.  

If on a boat put on a diving lure and troll behind the boat while under way. Let line out till your backing then reel in. The line will be good and tight. 

Edited by XBMX

Usually spinning reels suffer from coils flying off the spool!

Stop the spool with your thumb just before the bait hits the water. Or adjust the brakes in the reel, opposite the handle side.

Edited by cheech

Thank you, XBMX! Yes i am using scotch over first coils on the reel, but my problem is: while retrieving, lure -  even 3oz, doesn't resisting strong enough for creating dense winding and coils fall through creating bird nest while next casting.

Edited by ING

Thank you, cheech! Usually coils flying off the spool of spinning reel when it is overfilled. Yes, my bait casting reel is adjusted properly and I am stopping it on time. As I've told, problem is: while retrieving, lure doesn't dragging strong enough for creating dense winding and some incoming line coils falling through between previous loose coils and covering by next coils that creating bird nest while following casting.

Edited by ING

ING, providing the reel is spooled properly, you could try pinching the line as you retrieve.I always pinch in some tension on the first couple handle turns! The rod tip and retrieve rate can also help to maintain adequate tension and contact.
 Is the levelwind wrapping the line evenly?

Edited by cheech

Thank you, cheech! The levelwind is standurt and mooving left and right evenly. I am trying to pinch the braid and protecting index finger by medical tape but the thumb I keep without protection for best feeling the reel and it is suffering from cutting. Looks like it is only way to avoid loose winding.

The only way to keep the line wound as tightly was it was when you filled the spool is to use the same amount of tension when casting and retrieving.  What did you expect?  It does not have to be super tight for casting though.  Just increase the braking on the reel if it feels like it is fluffing and creating an over-run.

17 hours ago, oc1 said:

The only way to keep the line wound as tightly was it was when you filled the spool is to use the same amount of tension when casting and retrieving.  What did you expect?  It does not have to be super tight for casting though.  Just increase the braking on the reel if it feels like it is fluffing and creating an over-run.

Thank you, oc1 for recommendations but

At first: amount of tension when I am casting has no any relation to retrieving tension.

It is depending from breaks and shims adjustment plus or minus wind direction.

At second: retrieving tension depends from lure's resistance and pinching plus or minus  direction of current.

So, nature of casting and retrieving tensions is different.

What am I expecting?  The fish biting! :)

Edited by ING

I understand.  Uniformly and tightly wound line will cast a little better.  But, since you loose the uniform tension on a jerky retrieve you will have to increase the braking and sacrifice some casting distance to prevent backlash.

10 hours ago, oc1 said:

I understand.  Uniformly and tightly wound line will cast a little better.  But, since you loose the uniform tension on a jerky retrieve you will have to increase the braking and sacrifice some casting distance to prevent backlash.

Increasing of braking really decreases casting distance and prevent backlash while casting but it is not improving density of winding while retrieving  and some incoming line coils falling through between previous loose coils, covering by next coils and THAT creating bird nest while following casting.

Edited by ING

I do my best to only fish baitcasters/ conventionals.

I've never experiences what you've mentioned.

Are you getting a mid cast over run that abruptly locks up?

I fish 1/32 oz baits on 1 and 2lb test diameter lines and I don't have that problem

"Are you getting a mid cast over run that abruptly locks up?"

Yes, exactly!

I am casting 2oz jighead with plastic swimming bait.

After I filling spool tightly first several castings going well and suddenly - bum!

At home I carefully rewind bird nest and found coils, burred under another.

It is happens not first time...