Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish_Eye

What kind of boat? Where is it going?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

My guess; it is a purse seinner. It appears t be towing a small boat in its wake which would be used to play out the seine. Also there is a boom on the mast which could be used to dip the fish out of the seine once it is pursed up.

I go with what Wishin said...purse. That would be an early Omega Protein boatwink.gif. As to where it's going, I'd have to say the bottom of the ocean, as those steamers had a propensity to blow up!

[This message has been edited by MayorMcFish (edited 02-26-2001).]

You guys are good. It is obviously an old steamer and it is a seiner that targeted menhaden in Narragansett Bay. The NOAA plate describes the image as, "The Menhaden steamer Joseph Church approaching the oil and guano factory in Tiverton, RI."

Guano factory?[/size]

...talk about a sh@#$y job...I guess they had cormorants in those days...more likely lots of terns and gulls.

splat.jpg

J habs

To be a sword boat it would need a crow's nest in the mast to spot swordfish finning on the surfacr. It would also need a bow pulpit for the person to throw the harpoon from.

To Mayormcfish

I like that response, I think ,by now, you have to be right.Either that or sitting around in some boat breaking yard.

To Fish eye

Come on.Give us another one

WIWF and Habs

John, I know your facination with wooden boats, and how much you like to restore them, but WIWF is right...that boat was a Menhaden steamer headed for the "turd factory".

Hab, here's an easy one. What kind of boat is this and where is she headed? wink.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

harpoon.jpg

Image credit: NOAA - circa 1880

I found another image that may account for why John Habs -- custom plug maker extraordinaire -- thought that boat was a sword boat.

habharpoon.jpg

As you can see from this image, Habs had a great, great grandfather, Horatio Habs that was a famous harpooner.

This close up will confirm the resemblance.

habmacro.jpg

This might account for why Hab is not only known for his ability to turn wood into great plugs, but also his casting ability. It seems that John comes from a long line of "woodchuckers." wink.gifwink.gif

[This message has been edited by Fish_Eye (edited 02-27-2001).]

Mayor,

I pulled that image off an old archive page that might have come from NOAA's NMF connection. Sorry I don't remember the details. I would guess that the picture is from the late 1800's.

I'm surprised you didn't know that Horatio invented the polarized glasses; they were know as the "Horatio Hornrims". smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Fish_Eye (edited 02-27-2001).]