Jimo95

Help me decide which Mid size pickup

24 posts in this topic

Looking at getting a brand new mid size 4WD pickup.  I live in southern coastal NJ so the salt air is already present.  I have looked at the following makes/models:

- Toyota Tacoma SR5

- Chevy Colorado

- Ford Ranger

Now The only thing I really need is 4WD and 4 doors.  I am not concerned about hauling or towing capacity.  There are things I like/don’t like about each truck but I would like to hear from owners of them if possible.  I will be driving it on the beach but it will not be very often because of work.  I am leaning toward the Tacoma because of the interior, overall reliability and resale value.  However, the rust issue with the frame scares me.  Have they corrected this yet at the factories?  Thanks for any input.  

There's only one real truck in your choices. Tacoma all the way. Resale value is huge. Reliability is amazing.i had a 2003. Only complaint I could have was seat height to floor boards was a little uncomfortable after several hours in the truck.

4 mins ago, reelfire said:

There's only one real truck in your choices. Tacoma all the way. Resale value is huge. Reliability is amazing.i had a 2003. Only complaint I could have was seat height to floor boards was a little uncomfortable after several hours in the truck.

I found the Tacoma very uncomfortable, kept me from buying one when I got my truck a few years ago. I used to have an Outback that had a similar seat position and it really bothered me if I was on a trip more than an hour or two, didn't want to go down that road again. I went with the GMC Canyon (chevy colorado) and have been happy with it.

The newer models (canyon/colorado and ranger) have nicer interiors and more of the bells and whistles of modern vehicles if you like that. I found they also had quite a bit less road noise and a smoother ride on the highway, at least compared to my Dad's 2016 tacoma. 

Tacoma, end of subject.

The frame issues have been resolved.

If you can wait till fall to get one you will have both better selection and better pricing.

36 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Tacoma, end of subject.

The frame issues have been resolved.

If you can wait till fall to get one you will have both better selection and better pricing.

I would love to wait, but with my sone getting his license in August, he will be taking my current vehicle.  I know I won’t be getting a better price than if I waited, but I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.  

Tacoma all the way. Have a 2014 and next trip to OBX will put me over the 1st 100000 miles. Haven't had to put a cent into it except basic wear and tear, oil, brakes, and tires. Just had it inspected and asked about the frame and mechanic said it looks fine. I have until 2022 to have Toyota look at the frame to see if it needs to be replaced or they will coat it. :hooked:

If you can wait a few more months the 2022 Nissan Frontier looks like it will be nicer than the rest of the midsize trucks. I drive a second gen Tacoma and am not a fan of the engine and transmission in the third gens. Also the frame rust issues have not been eliminated. The frontier will most likely be my next truck. 

Check out the Gladiator also, I have had 7 new Toyota trucks in the last 35 years and planned on getting a new Tacoma last year, I found the Gladiator to be much more comfortable and the back seat is much larger. 

I have two friends who park their pickups at the marina, Silverado and F150. Neither is a beach truck but both have rusting from inside to outside at the wheel wells. The lot is crushed clam shell and dusty when dry and these trucks have several seasons parked there. I started to take notice when seeing F150's parked to take a look and it's not an isolated issue. FWIW.

Tacoma all tghe way, The chevy's are junk, the fords stink also. I had a 2004 Taco that was a tank on the beach, I had 75 k on her with no problems when it was hit in the rear. I traded it in for a car. I have a jeep Liberty now for the daily driver and the beach. The 4 runner was 4 k more money than the Jeep when I bought it.But if I had to buy brand new, it would be a Tacoma. My friend bought a new chevy colorado and he hated it.  Now he has a Jeep for his wife and a Taco for him.

I had a 4Runner and a Taco, both were great trucks and will not knock them. I needed something bigger and got an F-150, ran well but paint sucked. Ford's answer was unless a hole rusts through the metal TS. I then went with a GMC Canyon. For me it is the best of all, others may have different needs. I'm 6'+/220#s, Taco a little small for me, both trucks do very well in sand(AIR DOWN), creature comfort in Canyon better, IMHO. Toyota is doing a pretty good job in frame replacement but problem should have been solved years ago. Crap steel= crap frames. My buddy has been waiting 5 months for his new frame, that's BS. Canyon gives me 19mpg around town and that is mixed with daily beach work-h'way 25. I just bought a 2nd Canyon, resale on my 2016 and a $3500 GMC incentive, put the gun to my head. Good luck with your search.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tacoma, probably. Will cost you more up front for what you get, though.  If you buy with the intention of selling before repairs get out of control, then for sure Tacoma. If you plan to drive to the ground then to me it would make more sense to maybe pay less up front or the same and get more creature comforts for your money.

Edited by Fly By Nite