Surfrat815

Metal lips in freshwater?

16 posts in this topic

I don't do much of any freshwater fishing myself, but a few of my friends do and they use some smaller metal lips, like micro danny's, round nose swimmers, and pikies. Usually not their go-to's but they can be effective.

Ryan (RM Smith) also makes some metal lips that are essentially dedicated to freshwater as well, such as his Jellybean swimmer, peanut pikie, and peanut swimmer. Note that these work well for schoolies and back bays as well in saltwater. 

there are a few other builders that make small wood plugs as well geared toward backbays and freshwater as well, usually these come in at around 1oz or slightly less.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:03 AM, Surfrat815 said:

Just curious anyone ever use smaller metal lips for LM/pickerel? 

Yes! I brought a small RM Smith peanut bunker imitation swimmer (sorry can’t remember exact model), around 1 ounce, maybe 1.5, and I threw it on a rare early evening on an Adirondacks lake when the fish ignored my whopper Plopper, probably because the water was absolute glass and they wanted something more subtle. So I throw this thing, which when reeled VERY slow does the usual metal-lip wake magic and BAM,  4 lb bass inhaled it. So yes, LM like small metal lips! And probably bigger ones, given the right conditions. Wish I brought one of my Beachmasters!

On 7/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, Italianbuca said:

I don't do much of any freshwater fishing myself, but a few of my friends do and they use some smaller metal lips, like micro danny's, round nose swimmers, and pikies. Usually not their go-to's but they can be effective.

Ryan (RM Smith) also makes some metal lips that are essentially dedicated to freshwater as well, such as his Jellybean swimmer, peanut pikie, and peanut swimmer. Note that these work well for schoolies and back bays as well in saltwater. 

there are a few other builders that make small wood plugs as well geared toward backbays and freshwater as well, usually these come in at around 1oz or slightly less.

This is the one I’ve been getting LMB on:

22859A83-FD6D-4984-B1BF-467908AAB327.png

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I usually fish big wakebaits when targeting bigger LM but I was thinking the action on a metal lip might be something the fish aren't used to especially at night. Need to stock up on some smaller ones for sure 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve used metal lip Mirrolures & Rocky Jrs. Since the late 60’s.  I couldn’t afford Creek Chubs. Arbogast had some metal lip plugs too. 

Edited by lurejunkie00
Correction