Inshore Rod Recommendation

Rate this topic

frisco_25

Hi all, I am looking at getting a new rod that I can use in the backbays for stripers. I am debating between a 7ft Medium Fast St. Croix Legend Tournament Inshore 3/8-3/4oz or ODM DNA 8ft 3/8-2 oz. Anyone have any experience with these rods? Would pair with a 3000 Stradic loaded up with 20lb suffix 832

5 hours ago, frisco_25 said:

Hi all, I am looking at getting a new rod that I can use in the backbays for stripers. I am debating between a 7ft Medium Fast St. Croix Legend Tournament Inshore 3/8-3/4oz or ODM DNA 8ft 3/8-2 oz. Anyone have any experience with these rods? Would pair with a 3000 Stradic loaded up with 20lb suffix 832

Check out Century Weapon Jr 

4 mins ago, fmtuna said:

I think if I am going to go $250+ for a rod, I am going to get someone to build it for me.  Most of mine are RH Customs and for $250-300 you can specify everything you want.

I don't want to entirely derail the thread, but when did RH stop offering Lamiglas blanks?

To answer the thread, Konajon is entirely right about life weights.  

Unless you're dead set on the Legend inshore, you should take a look at the Avid inshore of the same ratings.  The Avid actually weighs less if that matters to you.  Different blank and reel seats but both have the same guides and same 15 yr warranty.  I have the 7'6" and 8' Avid inshore 3/8-3/4oz.  Great rod paired up with a light weight reel.  I've cast 1oz fine with these.  Mine are paired up with a 4K Stradic CI4 and 5K Vanford.  A 3K Shimano size reel would work on a 7' rod but depending on the size of the fish you're targeting you might be better off with a 4K reel paired with a 7'6" rod.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, CoffeeHangover said:

I don't want to entirely derail the thread, but when did RH stop offering Lamiglas blanks?

To answer the thread, Konajon is entirely right about life weights.  

I don't know... I do know that I have been fishing their 7' 10" Inshore Mag since the middle of last season and it is one of the lightest/strongest things I have thrown...

Those are two very different rods you’re comparing but out of the two, the stradic 3K would pair better with the 7’ SC. 20 lb sufix 832 is thicker than others in its weight class and breaking strength is around 35-40 lb if I remember correctly. I would go with thinner braid for that reel. You’ll get more line on the spool and better casting distance. 

One piece 7'6" Star Stellar Lite Surf (SG76IS)...if you can find one.  Best bang for your buck around.  Rated 3/8-2.  I have one matched with a VR50 and another with a 3500 Penn Battle III DX. Both setups kick ass.  Rod is sensitive, has an amazing backbone, and casts even small offerings incredibly well.  I have the 7"6" ODM backbay as well.... It has a similar rating (3/8 to 1.5) but is around 2.5X more expensive.  I find myself reaching for the Star/VR50 combo every time.

Edited by jesgord

I have a 76MHF Legend and can say it's my favorite rod for inshore.  I also have a 7MXF Avid Inshore which is kind of too small for what you're looking for.  But it's a blast with the schoolies.  

Reels:  the Legend has a Quantum Iron PT40 (4000) with 20# and the Avid has a BG 2500 with 15#.

Also have regular Avid 7MHF with a Spheros SW Inshore 4000.  Nice rig.