frisco_25

Inshore Rod Recommendation

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am looking at getting a new rod that I can use in the backbays for stripers. I am debating between a 7ft Medium Fast St. Croix Legend Tournament Inshore 3/8-3/4oz or ODM DNA 8ft 3/8-2 oz. Anyone have any experience with these rods? Would pair with a 3000 Stradic loaded up with 20lb suffix 832

5 hours ago, frisco_25 said:

Hi all, I am looking at getting a new rod that I can use in the backbays for stripers. I am debating between a 7ft Medium Fast St. Croix Legend Tournament Inshore 3/8-3/4oz or ODM DNA 8ft 3/8-2 oz. Anyone have any experience with these rods? Would pair with a 3000 Stradic loaded up with 20lb suffix 832

Check out Century Weapon Jr 

I look at lure weights more than anything as a starting point when looking for a new rod. You have one rod there rated to 3/4oz and one rated to 2oz which to me doesn't even make these rods comparable. Take a look in your tackle bag to answer your question if your stuck on these two.

4 mins ago, fmtuna said:

I think if I am going to go $250+ for a rod, I am going to get someone to build it for me.  Most of mine are RH Customs and for $250-300 you can specify everything you want.

I don't want to entirely derail the thread, but when did RH stop offering Lamiglas blanks?

To answer the thread, Konajon is entirely right about life weights.  

how about the new St. Croix Seage Rods coming in november?  they are getting good reviews.

SES70MLMF
SCR-2181

7' 0'' Medium-Light Moderate Fast 1 15 - 40 3/8 - 1 1 $210.00 USD

SES70MMF
SCR-2182
7' 0'' Medium Moderate Fast 1 15 - 40 5/8 - 2 2 $220.00 USD

Unless you're dead set on the Legend inshore, you should take a look at the Avid inshore of the same ratings.  The Avid actually weighs less if that matters to you.  Different blank and reel seats but both have the same guides and same 15 yr warranty.  I have the 7'6" and 8' Avid inshore 3/8-3/4oz.  Great rod paired up with a light weight reel.  I've cast 1oz fine with these.  Mine are paired up with a 4K Stradic CI4 and 5K Vanford.  A 3K Shimano size reel would work on a 7' rod but depending on the size of the fish you're targeting you might be better off with a 4K reel paired with a 7'6" rod.

I Have the Avid Inshore 7'6" 3/8-3/4 oz model Paired with a 2500 Clash spooled with 10 lb Fireline Crystal Ultra 8 Carrier :heart:

Light and Strong and can handle lures up to 1 oz.

Great, Great summertime surf and back bay rod.