tsitsop

Light Tackle for Bottom Fishing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get a new light setup to primarily target scup, tog, sea bass, and winter flounder. Would be nice to be able to use it for fluke and even have potential for schoolies & albies. I primarily use a BG4000 with a 9ft Daiwa SP surf rod (CLSP902MFS) which I absolutely love, but it's too big for this use case. I'm planning to get a BG2500 because I've had a great experience with the 4000. In regards to the rod, I'm thinking about getting a St. Croix Triumph Inshore. Leaning towards the TRIS70HF (7ft heavy, fast action, 3/4 - 2 oz) but also thinking about the TRIS70MHF (7ft medium-heavy, fast action, 1/2-1 1/4 oz). I plan to throw 15lb braid on it and will use this both from shore and off my kayak. Will use anything from 1/2oz jigs to 2oz hi-lo rig with worms.

Anyone have any feedback/suggestions?

I fish similar rods, the previous version of Mojo inshore. The medium heavy should be fine for the bottom fish. You might want to think about a conventional instead of spinning. I use a Daiwa Lexa on a 7’ inshore and it works great for bottom fishing and also for casting lures for stripers. The BG 2500 might be too small. I also have a 7’-6” inshore with a BG 4000 on it and it seems like a perfect size. 

If you want some fun. I bought a 4 foot bait casting rod  fmade by eagle claw for 7 bucks at lottery trading post years ago. Handles 1-2 ounces pretty good. It’s a friggin blast catching bottom fish on it. I pared it with an old bass bait caster.  I’ve caught some nice fish on it.  Tog, fluke, flounder, cod, sea bass, stripers!

A785B20A-5C6D-4A4C-BAB1-A93FDF90F7AC.jpeg

FDB28CD0-AF39-4D44-9260-B9060F853DA3.jpeg

22 hours ago, z-man said:

I fish similar rods, the previous version of Mojo inshore. The medium heavy should be fine for the bottom fish. You might want to think about a conventional instead of spinning. I use a Daiwa Lexa on a 7’ inshore and it works great for bottom fishing and also for casting lures for stripers. The BG 2500 might be too small. I also have a 7’-6” inshore with a BG 4000 on it and it seems like a perfect size. 

Yeah I initially was looking at getting a conventional. Lotta people recommended the Lexa, but its outta my pricerange. I've never run a conventional besides big ones trolling off a boat or when we go for cod/haddock, so I'd rather not spend that much on a reel I don't know if I'll like. Any you recommend that are a little cheaper?

9 mins ago, tsitsop said:

Yeah I initially was looking at getting a conventional. Lotta people recommended the Lexa, but its outta my pricerange. I've never run a conventional besides big ones trolling off a boat or when we go for cod/haddock, so I'd rather not spend that much on a reel I don't know if I'll like. Any you recommend that are a little cheaper?

I don’t think there are any big baitcasters like the Lexa for cheaper but the Accurist that others mentioned is around the same price range as the Daiwa BG. 

16 hours ago, newcut said:

Skinners set-up. The Jigging World Nexus and Quantum Accurist has pretty much become the standard for just this, and with good reason.

Do you use it? It's really that good? What makes it better than other setups?

6 hours ago, bassturds said:

If you want some fun. I bought a 4 foot bait casting rod  fmade by eagle claw for 7 bucks at lottery trading post years ago. Handles 1-2 ounces pretty good. It’s a friggin blast catching bottom fish on it. I pared it with an old bass bait caster.  I’ve caught some nice fish on it.  Tog, fluke, flounder, cod, sea bass, stripers!

A785B20A-5C6D-4A4C-BAB1-A93FDF90F7AC.jpeg

FDB28CD0-AF39-4D44-9260-B9060F853DA3.jpeg

Insane. I'm gonna have to do that one day

10 mins ago, z-man said:

I don’t think there are any big baitcasters like the Lexa for cheaper but the Accurist that others mentioned is around the same price range as the Daiwa BG. 

Why go baitcaster instead of spinning?

3 hours ago, tsitsop said:

You can easily drop down and adjust depth as you drift seamlessly. And usually with one hand. The accurist allows you to come in and out of free spool with a click of the thumb bar

Edited by Pescador710

18 mins ago, tsitsop said:

Do you use it? 

Yes, I do. I'm somewhat a gear junky. In fact it's somewhat embarrassing just how much fishing crap is piled up around here. 

I'd bet a little googling will get a review from someone better with words than I, and more time to use them.

30 mins ago, tsitsop said:

It’s easier to just push a button to drop the bait to the bottom then opening a bail plus less tangles. It’s also easier to let more line out when drifting over a deeper spot or to drop back to a missed fish. 

36 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

You can easily drop down and adjust depth as you drift seamlessly. And usually with one hand. The accuracy allows you to come in and out of free spool with a click of the thumb bar

They're pretty easy to learn to cast with too right? Just keep some thumb pressure on the spool so it doesn't get outta control? I might use this on jettys and stuff too

19 mins ago, z-man said:

It’s easier to just push a button to drop the bait to the bottom then opening a bail plus less tangles. It’s also easier to let more line out when drifting over a deeper spot or to drop back to a missed fish. 

Makes sense. easy enough to cast off shore with it too right?

19 mins ago, tsitsop said:

Makes sense. easy enough to cast off shore with it too right?

It’s takes some learning but it will cast fine. These reels were originally designed for casting they just work well for bottom fishing too.