Richard_the_Aughth

why do people list used items for brand new price on the BST?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, TimS said:

Exactly. So many people will automatically offer like 10-20% less than asking price, even if it's already an outstanding deal - it's like they have an aversion to paying asking price. Except here, it backfires, cause we don't force sellers to negotiate with low ballers, we let them ignore low ballers completely. Makes the low ballers very angry when someone steps in and buys the great deal they had first crack at because they tried to save $5 additional dollars on an already excellent deal. And, deep down, that makes me smile a little bit ;)  If it's listed here and you want it - and it's a good deal - and you know it's a good deal - don't beat the guy up, just buy it before someone else does :th: 

TimS

I use the low balling technique to keep myself from over buying. If I didnt make offers that were refused half the time, I'd own 200 rods instead of 100

I like seeing the low ball offers and someone sneaks in late with “ I will take for asking”. Low ballers be like but but but. I have no issue with low balling by the way. Just know there is a risk. Is it sick to enjoy such things?

To me if you don’t like a persons price then don’t pay it. As stated here there are lots of factors. There’s the cost of the shipping materials, there’s the cost of the actual shipping, there are fees. As someone who has actively liquidated things that I’ll never use I said a price based on the fact that I know people are going to lowball. If I say 20 the first offer is 15. If I say 25, the first offer is 20. It’s like clockwork. So most guys will set a price here based on the fact that they know someone will make an offer that is always less. When I buy here I always take for asking price. To me that’s the way it should be. I laugh at the guys that think that someone will come down one dollar, yes one dollar. I have actually seen someone say I respectfully offer $19 for someone that is listing at 20. To me that’s an insult and more of an insult than the guy who is selling his item for close to retail. I literally have a list of people that I will not sell to because they play games with pennies. I can’t pick and choose who buys from me but I can certainly pick and choose who I offered to in a want to buy thread. To say the line adds no value is ludicrous. As stated earlier if someone were to remove the line after an agreed price the buyer would be incensed. So obviously the line adds value. While this is the best site on the planet in many ways it can be one of the hardest to sell something because of these practices. When someone posts a price and you come back with $5 less, then that seller should be allowed to take 5% of the item back, maybe the bail spring, lol. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, TimS said:Exactly. So many people will automatically offer like 10-20% less than asking price, even if it's already an outstanding deal - it's like they have an aversion to paying asking price. Except here, it backfires, cause we don't force sellers to negotiate with low ballers, we let them ignore low ballers completely. Makes the low ballers very angry when someone steps in and buys the great deal they had first crack at because they tried to save $5 additional dollars on an already excellent deal. And, deep down, that makes me smile a little bit ;)  If it's listed here and you want it - and it's a good deal - and you know it's a good deal - don't beat the guy up, just buy it before someone else does :th: 

TimS

Well stated. What makes me smile is being the guy that actually buys it for asking price while the person who offered two dollars less is waiting for their answer. There was a situation a few years ago where a person offered five dollars less on a $300 item and I bought it. Shortly after I offered original asking terms the five dollar low baller tried to come up in price. Nah, bud. Exposed. Now go pay retail because you wanted to “win” and the five buck meant that much to you. :)

10 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I like seeing the low ball offers and someone sneaks in late with “ I will take for asking”. Low ballers be like but but but. I have no issue with low balling by the way. Just know there is a risk. Is it sick to enjoy such things?

Exactly why that rule is in place...if you knows it's a great deal don't risk making your low ball offer cause someone else will snatch it right up - it keeps things moving :) 

10 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I have taken more than a couple of fleabay auctions using sniping software doing something similar, though those are auctions and not asking prices. 

3 hours ago, flyangler said:

I have taken more than a couple of fleabay auctions using sniping software doing something similar, though those are auctions and not asking prices. 

It's the same notion here.  It's about "winning".  If said person can make the seller take $1 less than they want, the buyer feels that he/she won.  Instead of it being a cost/benefit analysis based on product and need, it becomes a situation where the person knows that what they are attempting to buy is a good deal but wants to "win" rather than get a deal.  I go to a yard sale and if an item I am asking about is $2, I don't ask the person sitting out in the sun all day if they will take $1.  It's insulting.