Richard_the_Aughth

why do people list used items for brand new price on the BST?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Ive noticed this quite a few times. They list something they bought, and claim they never used, or barely used, for full price or very close to it. Why would anyone buy from them when they can buy from a store where they can return it if anything is wrong? Are they just preying on some unsuspecting person who assumed it was a good deal since it was on BST? 

Word to the wise, before making an offer on BST, google the item. See what it goes for new.

Uh, without knowing any of the details, have you tried to find some items online or in stores lately? if someone has a near-new item that is in short supply or not even available, a willing buyer would pay what it takes to get the product. 

Have you looked at used vehicle prices lately? New ones? People are paying MSRP+ for vehicles because there are none to be found and when you do find one, you have to pay up to get it. 

How about guns and ammo? Dirty 9mm ammo from Russia selling for 80 cents or more just a couple months ago. Duty/SD ammo selling for $1.50 a round. 

Try finding Fuji torzite guides. 

Or Gulp Alive Recharge juice which I could only find at BPS, as it was sold out at J&H, Amazon, TackleDirect, TackleWarehouse. 

Like with houses, a seller can list it for whatever price they want but the market will dictate the price at which a transaction can occur. BST is same deal, they can list a price and you can "respectfully" bid lower. 

And anyone who does not know the current new price (and availability) of an item in the BST before bidding or lifting the offer is not a smart shopper. 

Meh…. I think sellers have the right to list any item at any price they deem appropriate.  Just like buyers have the right to negotiate the price down or not engage.  That’s how the free market works.  No need to be offended IMO.

Often overlooked by buyers are the additional PayPal fees incurred as well as the costs of shipping and insurance.  

Just now, Water Dog said:

Meh…. I think sellers have the right to list any item at any price they deem appropriate.  Just like buyers have the right to negotiate the price down or not engage.  That’s how the free market works.  No need to be offended IMO.

Often overlooked by buyers are the additional PayPal fees incurred as well as the costs of shipping and insurance.  

Im not offended, just looking out for people who might get ripped off, as it has almost happened to me a few times.

I agree with you, they have the right to charge double the store price for a used item if they want

3 mins ago, Water Dog said:

Good point on PayPal and you have to consider shipping cost as well if those are embedded in the asking price. Amazon Prime and other "free shipping" venues have spoiled us all. I sold a 2pc surf rod recently and the cost of shipping was over 10% of the agreed to net price. 

Sorry, I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone would be buying a used item without having a clue what it costs new. All it takes is a few clicks.  The only time I have ever done that is at a tool auction before smartphones, and I had a pretty good notion even then.

Let people sell whatever they want for whatever they want........Do I scratch my head at the asking prices I see here.....Absolutely.....

but who cares......let the wallets the seller is trying to get somethin out of tell them what's acceptable.

When I see whining about it...9.5/10 times...it's because that person wants it and is boo boo butt hurt that the number doesn't agree with them.

Bitcoin

People bought it above 60,000 thinking that was cheap relative to 100,000 per

At 31,000 people are buying thinking it is going back to 60,000, others are selling it thinking 20,000

Relative value is relative value. 

And one's need to own something will influence its relative value to the potential buyer. 

For example, I don't get collecting wood striped bass plugs, at any price. But that's me.....

1 min ago, flyangler said:

I don't get collecting wood striped bass plugs, at any price. But that's me.....

Collectors have different brains than non-collectors. I once heard they did studies with kids and piles of buttons, some kids threw them around and just played, and others sorted them by size and color. Don't get me wrong, I'm a packrat verging on hoarder, but I don't feel a compulsion to have crap in every possible color and size.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wish I'd have saved all my old skateboards. The vintage skateboard market is crazy now. If I only had a time machine.

Edited by joetackle

1 hour ago, joetackle said:

I wish I'd have saved all my old skateboards. The vintage skateboard market is crazy now. If I only had a time machine.

All of my favorite childhood toys would be worth a fortune. Aurora cars, multi-piece posable army men, original Erector Set.  I feel for the guys whose parents pitched their comics and baseball cards when they left home.

I bought a number of specialty woodworking tools for a good price.  I then sold them on eBay for more money than new ones.  The factory was working with a reduced staff and materials.  If someone wanted, or needed a certain tool and couldn’t get it from the factory they were willing to pay more.

Because people are willing to keep buying them for full price. If people are gonna pay it people are gonna list it for that. Blows my mind seeing used super strike plugs selling for 20-25 bucks each for example 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think most people do so (unless they are just clueless) because they figure people will just make offers on the item anyway. Like selling a vehicle, you list it a little high but not high enough to scare people away knowing your going to get talked down to hopefully make a deal for your target price.

Edited by jk20a3