lurejunkie00

Lupo Danny

12 posts in this topic

I have a Lupo Danny, deep trolling &casting lure. 6”, 2 oz.  never fished, but may have been taken out of the package, then put back in as it has 5 staples. Was going to fish this but is it better as a Collectable? 

FACF9A74-7C88-4007-BC9F-2FA8FAFC41F1.jpeg

Takes many years of reading,watching,going to shows,taking with those who are in the know,research,more an more research,watch the past markets,some plugs never go anywhere,prices go up,they go down...you just need to stay on top of everything,note every little detail,plastic bags add no value, some boxes are worth more then the plug within...did I say more research,never enough research.

Maybe Sam, but people pay insane prices for some super strikes because of the color, I’ll take a plain white one, give it to a friend, and he can make it any color I want for $5.00. I don’t consider myself a genius but I sure ain’t dumb. 

there's no rhyme or reason to the ss buying...except they shine in some folks eyes...buy or don't it's up to the must have it gang.

Lupos ... Poor man's Pichneys ...

They get no love from collectors. 

Heck, it appears that some anglers seem reluctant to even touch them, calling them " ... sloppily built and many have crooked or loose lips.", which implies that they were *all* sloppily built, an implication with which I disagree.

Having owned some 100 Lupos (all 6" and 8" Dannies and Trollers, primarily in white, Mullet, Light- and Medium-Blue Cloud, Rainbow and, I think, black), I will, however, categorize their builds as inconsistent as all getout.  I've owned a few with the aforementioned crooked and/or loose lips.  I saw a photo of one Lupo with one of the belly hook hanger holes off-center by some 10-15* (certainly enough to give it a *more than funky* swim!).

Additionally, some have had some combination of *very* thin paint/no topcoat/heavily ambered topcoat/poorly applied paint/loose tail wrap (whether from heavy use or from the builder varies).

Of those I have owned, maybe 10 had three or more of these flaws, enough to call them poorly ("sloppily" applies, to be fair) built (or "ugly AF", as my mates and I described them).   Bad paint and crooked lips seemed to go hand in hand.  Perhaps they were built on a Monday, as folks used to say about lemon cars.  Who knows?  In any case, I eventually stripped and rebuilt most of them over the winters.

Erring on the side of criticizing harshly, I'll *double* that number and assign 20% of them to the poorly built category.

On the other end of the spectrum, 1/3 of them have been fine, with none of the defects I've listed.  All hardware--from the lips to the tail wraps--was solid and properly positioned.  The paint was uniformly applied and there were no issues with adhesion between layers (body/primer/paint/topcoat), even on the used plugs (and some were USED).  They swim well, they catch, I love fishing them, and I don't cry when I lose one.  

Harsh assignment to "fine" category:  25%

That leaves the majority of them (55%) somewhere in the middle. 

The single most common flaw in this group is the ambering of the (usually heavily applied) topcoat, which could accurately be called dark tan in some extreme cases.  *****This was/is most common (perhaps up to 50%, if I recall correctly) on the white plugs.  (There were no white plugs in the top category for exactly this reason.)  I'll say that one in five of the Cloud patterns and the Mullet patterns showed any ambering, and it was minor at that (more like a warm white, as opposed to cream, much less tan).  Going back to white plugs, in most cases the ambering was minor to moderate and little different from what I've seen on older Gibbs and CCBC plugs.*****

Thin or unevenly-applied paint was the second most common flaw, which occurred equally on white and Light Blue Cloud in terms of percentage afflicted, and not at all on Mullet or Rainbow patterns. 

Although neither flaw had any appreciable effect on how they swam or caught, I can appreciate that some anglers do derive more pleasure from fishing "nicer-looking" plugs.

Which brings me to my last point, which is that many people hate "Those cheap-looking **** plastic pin eyes".  Yes, they're plastic pins.  As (more?) often than not, they break when one tries to remove them.  Personally, I think they have a "retro AF", kinda cheap/funky look that perfectly fits these lures, so I love 'em.  Love 'em or hate 'em, 95 of 100 Lupos have (or had) them.  

Bear in mind that

A)  These are merely my personal observations, so, of course, YMMV, and

B)  They're based on my recall, since 90% of those plugs are now in the hands/bags of others.  I think that I have photos of most of the Lupos I've owned, so I'll take a fresh look at them and will correct any inaccurate statements as necessary at some point in the near future.

I'll love to hear from other SOLrs who've owned and fished many Lupos over the years.  (I know who you are, so don't make me call you out in the future!)

While I’ve been tagged a “plastic hound” (RedFins & Bombers) I swear I always did better on Lupo’s than Real Danny’s 

16 mins ago, XBMX said:

While I’ve been tagged a “plastic hound” (RedFins & Bombers) I swear I always did better on Lupo’s than Real Danny’s 

Wait, what??

You sayin' that Lupo's Danny plugs outperformed Danny's Danny plugs??

5 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Wait, what??

No way.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Wait, what??

3 hours ago, t_man7 said:

No way.

1 hour ago, Bait Tailer said:

Same here. Not terrified of losing them!

Figured my comment would stir some $hit. Back before I took up the FlyRod the 2oz Lupo top water and sloped diver were particularly productive for me. Can't count how many 36in fish took one of these during the Spring run while slamming schoolies on little plastics.

Edited by XBMX