Evil-Bay

Penn Slammer 4???

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Just saw this hype video on the Penn slammer 4.  Anyone know the changes from the already good slammer 3?  From the video, look like it's just cosmetics.

Penn should redesign the spool and rotor by making cut outs to drain water and sand.  Also it will make the reel lighter.

Until that happens, I'll keep my slammer 3 reels and wait.

They need to work on the sealing, especially the main seal. They also need to beef up the side cover screws and find a way to keep them from coming loose. All of my Slammer 3's have leaked due to the side cover coming loose even with thread lock on the screws.

Saw it on their website yesterday.  One of the listed items was improved seals, still IPX6.  I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a 40-50% clearance deal on the Slammer III.  OH

I already have a slammer 3 4500, 5500, & 6500.  I just wanna buy a spare spool for each and it seems Penn is on back order for this.  Can't find them anywhere.  But like you said, I'm sure sales and discounts are coming....

I have a bunch of SlammerIIIs, they're good reels. I'd be interested in picking up another 5500 at a discount, then after Scooby or Alan Hawk do a review on the IV, I'll consider getting one.

I don't think I'll get another slammer until they redesign the spool and rotor for water and sand drainage.  

I fish mostly sandy beaches and occasionally get smashed by waves.  My Reel never seized on me but when I go home to clean my gear, I always see sand and particles under the spool on the rotor.

I’m pretty sure a Slammer lll was my last new reel purchase.

I like it quite a bit and it has lots of miles on it in the few seasons I’ve had it.

No problems to report and I’d certainly buy another, particularly if they start blowing them out at discounted prices.

I’ve never been one to have to have the latest and greatest  model of anything, but particularly with fishing reels.

Heck, my first saltwater spinner was a well used Mitchell 300.

You can’t get much simpler than that and 50 years later that little reel still works well.

The new stuff?

Sure they’re  smooth with all the bearings they have stuffed inside but they’re also not easy to work on.

I also wish that manufacturers would supply replacement parts for longer than they do.

I’ve ended up giving reels away because I couldn’t get replacement parts anymore and a few new parts would have kept them running well for years more.

Simpler reel  designs like Penn Spinfishers and old Mitchell’s and the original  Daiwa Black Gold series will run virtually forever with only a freshwater rinse and an occasional re-grease of the internals.

I really think simpler is better.

5 hours ago, Old Hunter said:

Saw it on their website yesterday.  One of the listed items was improved seals, still IPX6.  I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a 40-50% clearance deal on the Slammer III.  OH

I think the days of clearance pricing are gone. 

I'm a little disappointed but also not.

-I think the gold colored Stella shaped fake spool slots look cheap

-As mentioned above so far looks like a cosmetic change

-Was hoping they added a bearing under the pinion for extra support and longevity (aka many have the issue like Scooby had where the pinion chews its mounting spot eventually. In the Torque they put a bearing there 

-Maybe a slightly bigger gearset woulda been nice 

Good things: It's still a reliable Slammer, and less changes means more parts availability and "new parts" will most likely be interchangeable with the Slammer 3 still.

The only thing that's exciting for me is the 5500 BLS model which fills in that midrange bail-less reel market which only the SaltX does right now. Found that the 4500 BLS and the 6500 BLS on the spinfishers were either too small or large respectively for a 10-foot rod. I hope they did something with the rotor spinning during a cast and catching line causing you to lose lures.

The better-sealed drag and ball bearing support for the spool are also nice.

Edited by Inception

I think they will address the sealing around the spool shaft above the pinion. Something Scoob pointed out in his reviews. The hydrophobic coating seemed to work,

but a rubber seal will take it to another level. 

I really don’t feel the need to upgrade. The 3 has been bulletproof. But if they offer a 2500 size, I’m in for 2. 

17 hours ago, beerdoh said:

They need to work on the sealing, especially the main seal. They also need to beef up the side cover screws and find a way to keep them from coming loose. All of my Slammer 3's have leaked due to the side cover coming loose even with thread lock on the screws.Supposedly they fixed or flawsSupposedly they fixed or flaws