John P

Nothing going on in CT?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

49 mins ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

threshers, a good amount of them, Ive seen some new tails pinned to random docks for boats this year.

also one of the few sharks that can be sold and actually tastes decent

Nice!  Did not know they came into LIS! 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, ijuanaspearfish said:

my buddy has done real well for fluke this year, nothing huge but pretty nice from 20 to 24 inchers consistently.

weird striper season so far. I am getting them, I have gotten some really nice ones approaching 50 inches. Just not the qty I was getting last season at this time. Also noticed alot more smaller schoolies in the mix as well.

Sharks have been a big issue for me this year, I had one chasing me my last two night trips. Only about 4 to 5 feet long, but they spook the bass. I had one hooked last week and it pulled me out about a quarter mile, did an about face and ran right under my yak. snapped my rod like a twig, no way I could of stopped it, it was running at me so fast I could take in line fast enough. 

all my sharks were caught casting in about 4 to 5 feet of water. all the chasers were from me trolling.

So I've seen/hooked a few sharks over the last few years in the surf, but never got them close enough to really see. Sunday night I had a friend hook two that broke him off and see a few swimming around the rocks. Similar to what you said. Late night, amidst a big bass bite that died out when the sharks arrived...in shallow water. So I went out Tuesday looking for bass, but truly trying to land a shark in the wetsuit. After an hour long battle (on the striper leaders, not the heavier stuff I brought) mission accomplished. Of course it was a night I couldn't find anyone to go with me, really wanted a pic in the water with it. All of 6 feet and easily over 100 pound brown sandbar, caught on a live eel. Cut the hook at the eye, flipped her over and safely released before my swim back in lol. 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, ijuanaspearfish said:

P7270123.JPG

P7270162.JPG

P7270168.JPG

P7270171.JPG

P7270172.JPG

It's surprising that so many are now in our waters,something has changed in the last couple of years.  Fishing in  the water with bait is a good way to end up  in the  morning news if you were to do that in Gulf coast of Florida, we have mako, hammerheads and bullsharks to name a few that are more than happy to take a bite out of you.  They love coming in to shore at night to see what they can eat...Glad you had a safe time with the shark.

I would add,don't fish for them in a wet suit on the Cape for obvious reasons. Sharks should be respected every where.

I wonder where these sharks hang out during the day. I’m surprised we aren’t hearing about them stealing porgies and other fish from peoples lines. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:03 PM, PSegnatelli said:

Cool stuff @CaryGreene  seen any other types in LIS? Makos or anything like thatm

No, haven't seen any Makos in LIS but out in the Race and in the Gut you can get anything really. Typically, Makos will be found off Block though.

3 of my buddies fished late evening into the night yesterday at our local honey hole.

Between the 3 they caught over 20 bass, shortest being 30 inches, biggest just over 50 inches. trolling and casting live eels, Hogy's and Occhi's.

All were released healthy and happy.

1 hour ago, John P said:

Great news ! Glad to hear someone is producing.  Hope it is improving for others.  Night time seems to be the right time.

About half were caught dusk and maybe a bit before. Rest after dark, its been pretty decent for the last week or 2. 

I think they just had a really good night.