Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EarningStripes207

A blind squirrel after a nut

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Getting out of my comfort zone a bit tonight and doing some fishing off the beaches and maybe some rocks. Weapon of choice will be a black bomber with a black sluggo as backup. Not sure what to expect, most of my night fishing experiences out front end without a hit although I have had limited success in the past. Regardless of the outcome I will be doing this more in the coming weeks. Things I have in the back of my mind are slowing down my retrieve and trying to keep the headlamp off as much as possible, would love to hear peoples preferences on fishing in the dark vs daylight hours such as beach or rocks, current or slack water etc.

skunked last night, enjoyed being out anyway. I just rigged a black deceiver I tied today onto my leader, trying a new spot tonight a bit closer to home.

I fished for about 20 hours this week mostly at night. A friend I was out with caught one mid 20s and I saw a low thirty inch fish caught down the beach but that's it. It really sucks to suck, I suck. Trying again tonight, I think I might actually have a mental disorder... black bombers, black slugggos, teasers, sp minnows, GT eels, mag darters, Albi snacks, deceivers, clouser minnows and not even a hit all week. Felt like I made some progress last year catching consistently and many fish above slot but I guess that whole time I was just getting lucky. Back to square one. I know fish are around and being caught, I know I am using a good variety of lures that work, I don't know how to catch a damn striper. 

2 hours ago, EarningStripes207 said:

I fished for about 20 hours this week mostly at night. A friend I was out with caught one mid 20s and I saw a low thirty inch fish caught down the beach but that's it. It really sucks to suck, I suck. Trying again tonight, I think I might actually have a mental disorder... black bombers, black slugggos, teasers, sp minnows, GT eels, mag darters, Albi snacks, deceivers, clouser minnows and not even a hit all week. Felt like I made some progress last year catching consistently and many fish above slot but I guess that whole time I was just getting lucky. Back to square one. I know fish are around and being caught, I know I am using a good variety of lures that work, I don't know how to catch a damn striper. 

Its tough man, half the battle is being in the water, kind of the dog days of summer some now, from what I have seen the last few years, the fall run starts at the end of August. I have been through alot of changes with striper fishing, and still amazes me to go back and hink, look at logs, used to be able to go to the ocean with out any planning and catch fish. I know I always start out with lures, then end up switching over to bait, mostly at night. I know a few that fish at night in kayaks, with fish finders, and are getting a few, but they are covering some area. Oh, by the way, the fish are also depleted as well.  

Love a black sluggo at night. Also love a teaser, fished slow in front of a floating needle can be a lot of fun. Its ridiculous how close/shallow you can catch at night crawling in these rigs. I've also wasted a lot of time fishing at night thinking it would be the answer to not catching otherwise. Still have to find the fish. If you scout by day and can sight big fish following sometimes you can come back at night and get them to commit. Playing dirty helps - a rigged eel is a top notch search bait at night - can fish it like a lure without have to deal with fishing them live. 

Managed one on the black bomber right last night around midnight, most exciting fish I have caught since the first one of the year. The moon was also pretty cool.

You dont suck - you're learning something new.

Fishing at night, 1 rule, go slow, "really slow", "reel slow" . When you think you are reeling as slow as you can, slow down even more. Black Mambo minnow. Dark SP Minnow. Reel Slower, then slower, it seems painful at first, even boring, but slower is the key. You will find the correct speed.

If you're fishing like you would during the day, it's just casting practice.

Let us know if this helps.

6 hours ago, BlackLab1 said:

You dont suck - you're learning something new.

Fishing at night, 1 rule, go slow, "really slow", "reel slow" . When you think you are reeling as slow as you can, slow down even more. Black Mambo minnow. Dark SP Minnow. Reel Slower, then slower, it seems painful at first, even boring, but slower is the key. You will find the correct speed.

If you're fishing like you would during the day, it's just casting practice.

Let us know if this helps.

Absolutely!!  My motto has always been "When you think your retrieve is too slow, cut it in 1/2!!"