bob_G

Ma Environmental Police

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

I realize you're looking to play devil's advocate, or  stir the pot.  However an old saying applies here, " I was born at night, only not last night.'

Just how gullible does he think I/we are?  Unless someone has relocated recently, we have three officers living right here in Bourne.

Whether they're understaffed or overworked, that doesn't cut it. The NIMBY principal applies here. Local people don't want this crap going on in our backyard.

You may have 3 living in Bourne, but that doesn’t mean you have 3 working in Bourne. They have huge patrol areas and typically only one EPO per area. They’re shift starts when they enter their assign area. There’s less than 100 in the state. When you consider the fact that they have to individually follow up on open incidents and answer calls during their shift, they probably have 0 time to actually be proactive.

The issue isn’t the EPOs themselves. I know a half dozen personally and they really care about natural resources. The issue is the state and funding. MA doesn’t care about natural resources and enforcement…. That’s evident by the amount of money they spend on it. If you look at places like Florida and some of the Midwestern states, they dedicate huge amounts of money to enforcement and protecting the resources. MA simply doesn’t.

Also, the courts in MA are a complete and utter joke. Writing someone for a fisheries or wildlife violation is a mere inconvenience for that person. There are no real consequences. 

There are judges in this state that won’t even consider finding someone guilty of an OUI, let alone harvesting a striper that’s oversized.

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

?

These are trained natural resource officers. They know what tide and moon phases are productive and bring in the fish and fishermen ( or do they?).  But nothing changes,  month after month, year after year.

That would be some screwy shift scheduling for the EPO's to follow. :wee:

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

I realize you're looking to play devil's advocate, or  stir the pot.  However an old saying applies here, " I was born at night, only not last night.'

Just how gullible does he think I/we are?  Unless someone has relocated recently, we have three officers living right here in Bourne.

Whether they're understaffed or overworked, that doesn't cut it. The NIMBY principal applies here. Local people don't want this crap going on in our backyard.

There might be 3 EPOs who live in Bourne, but the question is "Where is their duty area?"  

1 min ago, clambellies said:

There might be 3 EPOs who live in Bourne, but the question is "Where is their duty area?"  

CB,

I don't care anymore.  People are simply getting sick and tired of watching this happen year after year.

That's nothing more than a convenient, worn out excuse. A well rehearsed prepared statement designed to direct sympathy to the plight of the poor overworked, underpaid EPs.

38 mins ago, clambellies said:

I hope their area is cape cod. If it’s not and they are wasting time and money driving to another part of the state then that organization is even more incompetent than I thought. 

I don't get it. This is like the IRS debacle all over. Recruit more EPO's, give them body cameras and quotas. Make some money back for the state. Increase the fines, go even harder after the boats. They will pay for themselves.

10 hours ago, z-man said:

I hope their area is cape cod. If it’s not and they are wasting time and money driving to another part of the state then that organization is even more incompetent than I thought. 

Z,

During that eight day period, was there anyplace in the Commonwealth, or even anyplace on the planet that had more 24/7 fishing activity and poaching than the canal? Cars parked, double parked it's entire length. Bell Rd was parked solid @ 2am. Rampant poaching. Fist fights. 

EPOs say "we didn't know. You have to call the hotline. Only one EPO on Cape Cod".

chiming in on this a bit late, there definitely needs to be an increased EPO presence to at the very least deter poachers and keep people in check. Increased presence alone goes a long way. 

There is a well known marina/ramp near the canal where I find that there is always an EPO posted up at the ramp that as soon as the boat is loaded on a trailer they give the entire vehicle a go around including checking coolers. Makes it a fun process at that marina, but keeps people in check. The major issue with this is, all day long you see boats pull up, they see the EPO truck sitting in the parking lot, the boat backs up then comes back a half hour later, EPO still there, same thing again, hour later EPO truck is gone, boat pulls up loads up and leaves. CLEARLY suspicious, you would think the EPO would flag the boat down? the boat pulling in and scooting off would be the one to check versus a crew loading up in front of an EPO.

I agree that they are clearly understaffed, but there is also an issue of going for easier targets just to get through the day. Either way, there is clearly an issue at hand. 

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

Z,

During that eight day period, was there anyplace in the Commonwealth, or even anyplace on the planet that had more 24/7 fishing activity and poaching than the canal? Cars parked, double parked it's entire length. Bell Rd was parked solid @ 2am. Rampant poaching. Fist fights. 

EPOs say "we didn't know. You have to call the hotline. Only one EPO on Cape Cod".

It really doesn’t make any sense. It’s not like it’s a difficult place to get to. They can park their truck 10’ away from where the guys are fishing. It’s got to be that they don’t want the hassle of writing out violations. 

11 hours ago, z-man said:

you would hope this is the case but I would assume it isn't. I know with State Troopers they are assigned based on where staff is needed not necessarily where you live. A couple friends of mine live in the south shore yet one is stationed in central mass and the other north shore. In fact, when they made it through and were assigned, they were specifically told they would not be stationed where they lived. Maybe a rookie/newcomer thing? I wouldn't be surprised if EPO's are the same. 

1 min ago, Italianbuca said:

you would hope this is the case but I would assume it isn't. I know with State Troopers they are assigned based on where staff is needed not necessarily where you live. A couple friends of mine live in the south shore yet one is stationed in central mass and the other north shore. In fact, when they made it through and were assigned, they were specifically told they would not be stationed where they lived. Maybe a rookie/newcomer thing? I wouldn't be surprised if EPO's are the same. 

That’s pretty stupid. Only a government run organization would be that wasteful of time and resources. 

Just now, z-man said:

That’s pretty stupid. Only a government run organization would be that wasteful of time and resources. 

are you surprised? haha

11 hours ago, z-man said:

The Epo I know lives in N Central Mass and his duty area last year was the Quincy area.  

Boys there is way more going on in this state then striped bass on cape cod.  The trawlers in Boston, New Bedford and other large harbors offer much larger much more opportunity to write steeper fines and protect those fisheries.  Anyone with a brain knows the net fisherman do bigger damage to fisheries (including striped bass) than any dope standing on the Canal jigging an Al Gags.  The have to track down people illegally hunting out of season, people taking to many fresh water fish in western mass, people ridding ATVS in the wrong area, ect.... Why is protecting the rules of the Canal more important?  Seems selfish to me.  More than just Striped bass they have to deal with that's for sure.  It not there fault its Chaos in your favorite spot.