bob_G

Ma Environmental Police

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

Why don't the Environmental Police publicize their arrests on their FB page anymore?

Not politically correct.   :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, clambellies said:

My son's good friend is an EPO.  I've talked with that officer and learned quite a few things.  The size of their individual patrol range is huge.   If they've been assigned to watch for illegal ATV use on the far end of their area and a call comes in for a poached fish on the other end of their area they can't respond to the poaching.  To leave the ATV investigation is to guarantee nobody gets caught.  They are vastly understaffed for the nonsense that goes on today.

I had a half hour talk with an EPO in a parking lot the other day, and those were the first words out of his mouth.  He claimed he was "the only EPO on Cape Cod that day. From Bourne to Town".  

I just don't understand how EPOs can drive by literally hundreds of cars parked all up and down the canal? Fishermen riding bikes down Sandwich Rd at 4am,  with the 800 EPO hotline ringing off the hook with complaints of violations, and not even stop by, or drive the service road to check it out?

 

These are trained natural resource officers. They know what tide and moon phases are productive and bring in the fish and fishermen ( or do they?).  But nothing changes,  month after month, year after year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

..".  

I just don't understand how EPOs can drive by literally hundreds of cars parked all up and down the canal? Fishermen riding bikes down Sandwich Rd at 4am,  with the 800 EPO hotline ringing off the hook with complaints of violations, and not even stop by, or drive the service road to check it out?

 

....

 

 

Bob,  what is there not to understand?  The officer already answered your question when you spoke with him.  First words out of his mouth.

 

He's involved with another issue.  Being the only EPO on Cape and low staffing only makes the problem worse. 

 

Edited by Joe G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, bob_G said:

I had a half hour talk with an EPO in a parking lot the other day, and those were the first words out of his mouth.  He claimed he was "the only EPO on Cape Cod that day. From Bourne to Town".  

I just don't understand how EPOs can drive by literally hundreds of cars parked all up and down the canal? Fishermen riding bikes down Sandwich Rd at 4am,  with the 800 EPO hotline ringing off the hook with complaints of violations, and not even stop by, or drive the service road to check it out?

 

These are trained natural resource officers. They know what tide and moon phases are productive and bring in the fish and fishermen ( or do they?).  But nothing changes,  month after month, year after year.

Said this before my dads neighbor down in Yarmouth port is an EPO officer. Doesn’t do field work anymore does office work and training for new recruits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, bob_G said:

I had a half hour talk with an EPO in a parking lot the other day, and those were the first words out of his mouth.  He claimed he was "the only EPO on Cape Cod that day. From Bourne to Town".  

I just don't understand how EPOs can drive by literally hundreds of cars parked all up and down the canal? Fishermen riding bikes down Sandwich Rd at 4am,  with the 800 EPO hotline ringing off the hook with complaints of violations, and not even stop by, or drive the service road to check it out?

 

These are trained natural resource officers. They know what tide and moon phases are productive and bring in the fish and fishermen ( or do they?).  But nothing changes,  month after month, year after year.

Sorry Bob, have to disagree,  I am overlooking the Canal four out of seven days a week and see the EPO pickups quite frequently, sometimes two or three times a week end.  This past weekend, Saturday I beleive, there as an EPO on BOTH side of the Canal.

 

What nobody else seems to mention that these guys also investigate wet lands violations, polloution complaints and logging violations plus have on going educational commitments.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

w/salary, benefits, car, etc. it probably takes 300k - 400K a year to keep one on the road.  When the cost of a license goes up $1 people complain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

 

Bob,  what is there not to understand?  The officer already answered your question when you spoke with him.  First words out of his mouth.

 

He's involved with another issue.  Being the only EPO on Cape and low staffing only makes the problem worse. 

 

Joe,

I realize you're looking to play devil's advocate, or  stir the pot.  However an old saying applies here, " I was born at night, only not last night.'

 

Just how gullible does he think I/we are?  Unless someone has relocated recently, we have three officers living right here in Bourne.

Whether they're understaffed or overworked, that doesn't cut it. The NIMBY principal applies here. Local people don't want this crap going on in our backyard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, b-ware said:

Sorry Bob, have to disagree,  I am overlooking the Canal four out of seven days a week and see the EPO pickups quite frequently, sometimes two or three times a week end.  This past weekend, Saturday I beleive, there as an EPO on BOTH side of the Canal.

 

What nobody else seems to mention that these guys also investigate wet lands violations, polloution complaints and logging violations plus have on going educational commitments.....

 

 

I  believe you Bernie. That being said, why did I see so many fish poached from the same place over an eight day period?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clambellies said:

My son's good friend is an EPO.  I've talked with that officer and learned quite a few things.  The size of their individual patrol range is huge.   If they've been assigned to watch for illegal ATV use on the far end of their area and a call comes in for a poached fish on the other end of their area they can't respond to the poaching.  To leave the ATV investigation is to guarantee nobody gets caught.  They are vastly understaffed for the nonsense that goes on today.

It probably also comes down to what is a more enjoyable day for the EPOs. Would you rather ride around on an ATV all day chasing kids or deal with the hassle of canal fishermen that are going to claim to not speak English and have no ID with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a big time shortage of EPOS.  I talked to one last year and he told me they don't have as much time as they would like dealing with morons around the canal.  He said he is in New Bedford writing fines for everything under the sun 7 days a week. Makes sense because those trawlers do more damage than any numb nut with a rod, reel and two feet on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

There is a big time shortage of EPOS.  I talked to one last year and he told me they don't have as much time as they would like dealing with morons around the canal.  He said he is in New Bedford writing fines for everything under the sun 7 days a week. Makes sense because those trawlers do more damage than any numb nut with a rod, reel and two feet on the ground.

True, and the fines are bigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, b-ware said:

 

What nobody else seems to mention that these guys also investigate wet lands violations, polloution complaints and logging violations plus have on going educational commitments.....

 

 

Not exactly.   Wetlands violations and pollution (spills on water or not) are the jurisdiction of another agency altogether (Dept of Environmental Protection).  There are some officers assigned to a multi-agency task force, but those duties above are not typical to EPOs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one doing a traffic detail on rt 1 in Salisbury (to be clear I saw the truck didn’t necessarily see the officer) last week. Unless they’re allowed to bid details? No idea just didn’t seem like a good use of recourses assuming the officer was working the detail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, stalkinthebeaches said:

I saw one doing a traffic detail on rt 1 in Salisbury (to be clear I saw the truck didn’t necessarily see the officer) last week. Unless they’re allowed to bid details? No idea just didn’t seem like a good use of recourses assuming the officer was working the detail. 

I think 'details' are done outside of their normal working hours.  The cost for them is paid by you if on a public or regulated utility project, through the contractor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, Jonesy02719 said:

Not exactly.   Wetlands violations and pollution (spills on water or not) are the jurisdiction of another agency altogether (Dept of Environmental Protection).  There are some officers assigned to a multi-agency task force, but those duties above are not typical to EPOs.

I assumed the EPO's where the enforcement agency, out here in Western Mass. the EPO's are usually the first responders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.