Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 21 - July 28

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Fished a pretty popular spot in the southern bay (that's turned into a nighttime party spot for teenagers). Mid-tide into darkness for about an hour.... had one take from a schoolie. Maybe I  should have stayed longer but, the lack of fish around this year has bred a lack of confidence. I just wanted to get out of there before I sacrificed any more sleep for nada. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, Peelin' Drag said:

Fished a pretty popular spot in the southern bay (that's turned into a nighttime party spot for teenagers). Mid-tide into darkness for about an hour.... had one take from a schoolie. Maybe I  should have stayed longer but, the lack of fish around this year has bred a lack of confidence. I just wanted to get out of there before I sacrificed any more sleep for nada. 

I have had the same issue, the poor fishing has made me less confidence and honestly less motivated. With many other priorities in life loosing sleep to not catch or catch small fish is really killing my motivation to give up sleep or ignore other priorities (as i would have in years past).  The crowds have been slightly down which is nice but motivation has been tough this year.  The weather has not helped either, its either thunderstorms, pouring rain, or stifling humidity... 

Edited by Kooky

First legit surf beast for me this year. Night bite was painfully slow but picked this half dead beast up on the smaller doc. Unfortunately it didn’t make it. Embarrassing hit. no fight or drag scream to speak of. Landed in under 3 minutes. Pic was taken from a distance and doesn’t do it justice. 42lbs. 

2E87C12B-62C1-4783-85A7-7F53D0627CC2.jpeg

22 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

First legit surf beast for me this year. Night bite was painfully slow but picked this half dead beast up on the smaller doc. Unfortunately it didn’t make it. Embarrassing hit. no fight or drag scream to speak of. Landed in under 3 minutes. Pic was taken from a distance and doesn’t do it justice. 42lbs. 

Nice one. Been fishing there a long time and still haven’t broken 40 from those rocks. Jealous.  

Probably didn’t fight much because it was stuffed with pogies. 

30 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Nice fish!!!

Shame it didnt make it, im sure you did what you could 

Just now, Kooky said:

Nice fish!!!

Shame it didnt make it, im sure you did what you could 

I tried. When I saw it come up belly up I actually managed to hook it in the mouth again after a few casts and tried again. Didn’t work. When I caught it, it already looked half dead

Got out last pm, even though i dislike full moons.  Found a good bite when tide got moving for about an hour and a half. Pretty consistent bite with fish ranging from 25" - 32", fish were picky with the moon. Dropped a few more that felt good due to short hits.  Like locked said many of the initial take from the fish were really soft like they were sucking in the plug versus slamming it, and wouldnt realize they were hooked till they started to swim off.  Overall a good bite for that time period, clearly summer is in full swing as the ocean front is packed all hours.

1 min ago, LockedDrag said:

I tried. When I saw it come up belly up I actually managed to hook it in the mouth again after a few casts and tried again. Didn’t work. When I caught it, it already looked half dead

And thats odd because that is pretty deep cool water its not like its upper bay where the water temps are high

6 mins ago, rbart said:

Nice one. Been fishing there a long time and still haven’t broken 40 from those rocks. Jealous.  

Probably didn’t fight much because it was stuffed with pogies. 

I know the spot is i fished is guaranteed a 20lb or bigger every morning once the fish hit their summer pattern in full force LOL my buddies live-line tautog there constantly every year and we always see them  cruising along the rocks. Very cool when you can look from above and see 20-40lbers surround your live bait but not touch it

1 min ago, Kooky said:

And thats odd because that is pretty deep cool water its not like its upper bay where the water temps are high

Yeah. That’s what I figured too cuz usually when they hit, it’s a big kaboom but I just got a  small swirl and dead weight from this one. 

9 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

I know the spot is i fished is guaranteed a 20lb or bigger every morning once the fish hit their summer pattern in full force LOL my buddies live-line tautog there constantly every year and we always see them  cruising along the rocks. Very cool when you can look from above and see 20-40lbers surround your live bait but not touch it

And that’s where you lose me. Those guys are live lining shorts.  They’re dead sticking crabs or squid while they have a rod spiked with a short tog. Your friends are lucky the EPs don’t enforce **** down there 

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

Yeah. That’s what I figured too cuz usually when they hit, it’s a big kaboom but I just got a  small swirl and dead weight from this one. 

And the Doc legend continues. Was the Doc bone color or some new finish?