55555s

Top shot and knot for bigger mono... bad for guides?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I dont normally use a top shot but I am going to start doing so for one of my chunking rigs.    Spinning.

My question, if I have a top shot of a few wraps of  40ish lb mono or fluoro to 17 lb mono mainline, thats a pretty decent sized knot, irrespective of which knot is used.   Is this detrimental to the top tip guide?  Casting a big knot through the top guide seems less than desirable.

Worrying about nothing?  

If you are worried, could you switch main line to 17lb braid, then use FG Knot?  Very slim & strong, easy to tie, and goes through guides smoothly.  Just a thought.

This is a chunking rod that wont be using braid.  

I typically tie an FG knot for braid to leader and a uni uni for mono to mono./leader.  

How about an FG from mono mainline to mono topshot?  

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

This is a chunking rod that wont be using braid.  

I typically tie an FG knot for braid to leader and a uni uni for mono to mono./leader.  

How about an FG from mono mainline to mono topshot?  

I don't think you will get the mono to "bite down" like braid will do on leaders. 

I’ve always wondered about any knot going through guides, regardless of how slim. I will be interested to hear the experts chime in. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

For the heavy bait rods I use mono for it’s 17# Tritanium plus to about 30’ of 50# mono shock leader.  I use an Improved Albright knot and it travels the guides pretty easily.  It’s a fairly slim knot and holds up to very large fish. 

Edited by dj1975232

8 mins ago, dj1975232 said:

For the heavy bait rods I use mono for it’s 17# Tritanium plus to about 30’ of 50# mono shock leader.  I use an Improved Albright knot and it travels the guides pretty easily.  It’s a fairly slim knot and holds up to very large fish. 

Spider hitch to double the 17 then a Bristol knot to that. . Goes through guides better then any other mono knot. It's 2 knots but there both small . I know guys who use a figure 8 knot and it also seems pretty good as well .