RAW

5 am, gorgeous morning ,zippo for all again

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Went really light tackle in backwaters, top water, plastics. Today zero sand eels or bird activity along with the elusive line sider. Had a few boils, again no lips. Time to take a break, tides aren't best. Guess I'm making excuses. Here's nice pic of what should have been :banghd:  can wait for 5 months chasing snook, tarpon, seatrout, jack, redfish and on and on.:rav:

IMG_2071.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got one in your general area two nights ago.  Mostly been one fish trips or skunks lately. I was about ready to take a break for a few weeks, but this one will keep me going through a few more skunks. 

Ol’ reliable sp minnow did the job for me again.  42”, swam off strong after a quick revive. 

FAB31439-6BE4-4341-8F56-15DAD5146458.jpeg

Edited by TwoLightsKid

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve been focusing my efforts on the river mouth/out front. The last two times I’ve been out, including this past Sunday afternoon, were fairly productive. Both cloudy days, and I wasn’t out early in the morning or later in the evening - mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I was in my kayak but mostly fishing places that would be reachable from shore. I caught bigger fish out front (just under/lower slot-sized) on live macks and smaller fish on tube and worm. Soft plastics have been slow for me, lately. 

Edited by drmevo

I've been so frustrated (Disapointed?) with the fishing lately- and the lack of bigger fish (25"+) for me is really getting me down.  Also the second year in a row where it looks like the pogies have skipped the mouth of the Piscataqua- and the adjacent waterfronts. 

Had the alarm set for 4 am this morning- perfect seas. I slept in thinking I could use the extra 3 hrs of sleep as opposed to catching another 2-3 24" fish.  I need to mix it up and try out some new spots. Winter is coming!

6 hours ago, RAW said:

Today zero sand eels or bird activity

Wife and I went to the beach today and she hands me my towel and I say I won't need it because I ain't going in that dirty water, (all seaweed). So I sit and start reading my Tail Fly Fishing Magazine and I come across this article about sand eels..... But before I do I say to myself, self, since you've been here you have not seen any seagulls and only one tern, so where are the baitfish? In the article under Range and Habitat (of the Sand Eel), "A sure bet is any section of coast with nesting terns. Sand eels are a crucial part of the terns diet." No Sand Eels, no Terns, no sand eels, no Bass.

6 hours ago, RAW said:

can wait for 5 months chasing snook, tarpon, seatrout, jack, redfish and on and on.

Where? I'm in Naples and still looking for my first Tarpon.

3 hours ago, mickymac said:

Wife and I went to the beach today and she hands me my towel and I say I won't need it because I ain't going in that dirty water, (all seaweed). So I sit and start reading my Tail Fly Fishing Magazine and I come across this article about sand eels..... But before I do I say to myself, self, since you've been here you have not seen any seagulls and only one tern, so where are the baitfish? In the article under Range and Habitat (of the Sand Eel), "A sure bet is any section of coast with nesting terns. Sand eels are a crucial part of the terns diet." No Sand Eels, no Terns, no sand eels, no Bass.

Where? I'm in Naples and still looking for my first Tarpon.

Bokeelia, northern end of Pine Island. directly on Charlotte Harbor and 1/4 mile to Boca Grande 

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0871.jpg

11 hours ago, RAW said:

Bokeelia, northern end of Pine Island. directly on Charlotte Harbor and 1/4 mile to Boca Grande

I'm a member of Backcountry Fly Fishers and they do outings to Estero Bay, which I'm not a fan of, and Matlacha/Pine Island, which I've never fished. I fish from a kayak and Estero had a lot of water skiers and jet skis. Is Matlacha similar?