fishBAD

Salvaging a damaged blank

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new at this.  I accidentally cut the blank vertically.  It's in a spot where I can hide the cut under the reel seat.  I would think that once slathered in epoxy and protected in the handle assembly it should be serviceable.  My question is is it will it be?  Or is the blank forever compromised?  Am I better off getting a new blank?  

Did the cut you described pierce the wall of the blank?

It may be salvageable. However, it could fail at any time if the rod is placed under heavy load.

Since the damage is under the reel seat try the following steps.

1. Coat the area of the break with Gel Super Glue and let cure.  

2. Wrap A thread over the break one inch beyond each end. Apply a thin coat of finish and let cure.

3. Repeat Step 2.

4. Use dry wall fiberglass mesh tape saturated with epoxy glue for your reel seat arbors.

5. Let cure for two days.

6. Glue on the reel seat.

7 hours ago, Al Goldberg said:

Did the cut you described pierce the wall of the blank?

It may be salvageable. However, it could fail at any time if the rod is placed under heavy load.

Since the damage is under the reel seat try the following steps.

1. Coat the area of the break with Gel Super Glue and let cure.  

2. Wrap A thread over the break one inch beyond each end. Apply a thin coat of finish and let cure.

3. Repeat Step 2.

4. Use dry wall fiberglass mesh tape saturated with epoxy glue for your reel seat arbors.

5. Let cure for two days.

6. Glue on the reel seat.

I dont think it penetrated far.  The story is it's a 6'6" CRB pink blank for my daughter.  Rated 1/4-3/4 oz.  The heaviest application would be lake trout from shore, and schoolie striper.  I don't anticipate her cathing anything that would make it bend at the handle.   I was trying to get an eva rear grip into place and got stuck.  I cut it off with a razor.  Despite being fully aware not to cut too deep, I still managed to leave a cut on the blank.  There was no resistance.  I had cut 6 inches off the butt and tested cutting that piece with a razor.  I have to apply a fair amount of pressure in order to get any real penetration into the blank so I think my cut is superficial and I may have overreacted.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, fishBAD said:

I cut it off with a razor.  Despite being fully aware not to cut too deep, I still managed to leave a cut on the blank. 

It will be fine. Dont sweat.

Edited by ZAFisher

Forget about the major surgery.  Wrap the area with size A thread and apply a thin coat of finish before installing your reel seat. It should be fine.