walleyecrazy

travel rod

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Mahigo said:

I think the 3-4 piece rod you can carry in your car all the time but 2 piece perhaps not.

The travel rods are about 30” long and most of them comes with the rod tube.

Maybe. A 7ft to 8ft 50/50 2-piece doesn't take up a lot of room though.

9 hours ago, Inshore said:

St Croix Avid Trek

I second this. I bought this rod over the winter for some upcoming family vacations and decided to test it in the spring while fishing for stripers in the rivers. I ended up using it all spring it was so much fun to fish. It fished like a one piece (it's a 3-piece) and is very well made. 

I’ll have to take a look at some of these suggestions. I wish I had a shop local to me that carried some of this stuff so I could see them first hand. I did get hands on with the Okuma Nomad Inshore travel rod and honestly came away a little underwhelmed. It has a decent build, but was honestly no nicer than the $100 Silver hook that I already have, and the Nomad has a retail of $169. I also think the Nomad is a little heavy which is likely a result of the aluminum reel seat. The Silver Hook is noticeably lighter in hand than the Nomad. Overall if I had to choose between the two I think I’d give the nod to the Silver Hook. It has equal build quality, is lighter, and is a good bit cheaper. I would love to get hands on with the Daiwa Ardito as I’ve enjoyed every Daiwa rod I’ve used so far. The St Croix Avid trek is also one I want to try. 

15 hours ago, walleyecrazy said:

I’ll have to take a look at some of these suggestions. I wish I had a shop local to me that carried some of this stuff so I could see them first hand. I did get hands on with the Okuma Nomad Inshore travel rod and honestly came away a little underwhelmed. It has a decent build, but was honestly no nicer than the $100 Silver hook that I already have, and the Nomad has a retail of $169. I also think the Nomad is a little heavy which is likely a result of the aluminum reel seat. The Silver Hook is noticeably lighter in hand than the Nomad. Overall if I had to choose between the two I think I’d give the nod to the Silver Hook. It has equal build quality, is lighter, and is a good bit cheaper. I would love to get hands on with the Daiwa Ardito as I’ve enjoyed every Daiwa rod I’ve used so far. The St Croix Avid trek is also one I want to try. 

If your  around LI area we can meet up on a saturdayand I’d let you throw it. I got no issue with that, it lives in my car so i always have it with me