walleyecrazy

travel rod

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Living in upstate NY I am 2-3 hours away from the coast most of my fishing in the salt comes during trips to various locations. With that I am currently looking to pick up a good 3-4 piece travel rod to use mainly for fluke fishing while on these trips. This will likely consist of mostly fishing bucktails or other jigs in the surf or back bays of the areas I go to. I'm finding it hard to locate a nice quality travel rod to use for this purpose. I recently picked up one of the silver hook travel rods, and while it is a decent rod, it is not quite the level of quality I am looking for, but I really wasn't expecting it to be for it's low price. I am also finding that there is almost no inventory on the travel rods I do find at any of the online shops right now, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me with the current supply chain issues. So any suggestions on rods I should be looking at, and where I should be looking would be greatly appreciated. 

29 mins ago, walleyecrazy said:

Living in upstate NY I am 2-3 hours away from the coast most of my fishing in the salt comes during trips to various locations. With that I am currently looking to pick up a good 3-4 piece travel rod to use mainly for fluke fishing while on these trips. This will likely consist of mostly fishing bucktails or other jigs in the surf or back bays of the areas I go to. I'm finding it hard to locate a nice quality travel rod to use for this purpose. I recently picked up one of the silver hook travel rods, and while it is a decent rod, it is not quite the level of quality I am looking for, but I really wasn't expecting it to be for it's low price. I am also finding that there is almost no inventory on the travel rods I do find at any of the online shops right now, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me with the current supply chain issues. So any suggestions on rods I should be looking at, and where I should be looking would be greatly appreciated. 

Do a search on here. I remember looking for the same rod and didn’t get many suggestions. 

7 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Is there a reason to insist on a 3 or 4 piece rod, as opposed to 2? There's a lot more of those around.

Mainly for taking on flights. While I know I can generally fit a two piece in an overhead bin, I would prefer to go with the shorter packed length of the 3-4 piece rods. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Is there a reason to insist on a 3 or 4 piece rod, as opposed to 2? There's a lot more of those around.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Why go to a 3 to 4 piece rod if you can locate a good 2-piece rod.

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

32 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

This is what I was thinking as well.

Why go to a 3 to 4 piece rod if you can locate a good 2-piece rod.

I think the 3-4 piece rod you can carry in your car all the time but 2 piece perhaps not.

The travel rods are about 30” long and most of them comes with the rod tube.

Travel rods can also be stuffed in the backpack with the top sticking out so you can hike or bike to wherever you wish and drop a line.  This is a huge deal when cycling around places instead of dealing with parking lots.

Depending on your budget, there are a number of routes you can take.

There are several high end travel rods fitting your description that range in price from $400-$600. Google "travel spinning rods".

Go Custom - they can range from $350 to $650 depending on the blank and guides chosen and how much bling you want on the finished rod.

1 hour ago, WindAndWater said:

There might be something in the Okuma Nomad line. I don’t have a specific model in mind but I’ve looked at a few of their travel rods and thought the build and balance was really good. 

I took a look at those, but it's hard to find a ton of feedback on them. I have also looked at the TFO Traveler rods, which appear like to use solid components, but again there isn't much feedback to be had on them. 

I have a Fenwick methods rod - nice concept where it came with multiple sections that you could swap out for different powers and actions. Not crazy high end but pretty nice as far as travel rods go - not sure if they're still making them though