typicalsurfcaster

Getting a first custom bag made

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello 

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. When I go fishing I'm either walking the beach or fishing off a jetty. I want to get a bag built that has a plier holder and a d ring built in for boga grips. Would that bag be practical? And would it be comfortable to have it on a belt and or without a belt ,because sometimes I'm fishing without a belt. I know these questions are hard to answer but I just want to get a better idea of what I'm getting myself into before I pull the trigger.

53 mins ago, typicalsurfcaster said:

Hello 

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. When I go fishing I'm either walking the beach or fishing off a jetty. I want to get a bag built that has a plier holder and a d ring built in for boga grips. Would that bag be practical? And would it be comfortable to have it on a belt and or without a belt ,because sometimes I'm fishing without a belt. I know these questions are hard to answer but I just want to get a better idea of what I'm getting myself into before I pull the trigger.

What do you fish for? How long is your walk? What do you need the bag to hold? 

I think the pliers and boga should be on  a belt. the bag is heavy enough on its own .My bag has d rings for clips to attach with a belt so the weight doesn't hang totally on my shoulder Has belt loops to attach directly to belt without shoulder strap or just a shoulder strap which i use most times to walk beach   but to each his own 

1 min ago, breezybass said:

I think the pliers and boga should be on  a belt. the bag is heavy enough on its own .My bag has d rings for clips to attach with a belt so the weight doesn't hang totally on my shoulder Has belt loops to attach directly to belt without shoulder strap or just a shoulder strap which i use most times to walk beach   but to each his own 

x2. I belt mount bags, and still the pliers and boga go on the belt not the bag.

CLFish5

I fish for stripers and blues, I was thinking of getting a 2 tube bag and have a pouch in the front of the bag that is big enough to hold some tins and bucktails and maybe soft plastics. When I walk the beach I walk for about 1-3 miles depending on the spot and where II find the fish. But the dilemma is that when I go and fish jetties I don't wear waders or a belt so I don't have a spot for my bogas and my pliers. Thats why I was thinking of getting a d ring and a plier holder built into the bag.

I dont fish the jetty ,The older guys wear korkers grundens bibs jacket and a belt over the jacket . if i needed to carry my pliers and bogga I would wear my belt . I see  younger guys that walk and fish the jetty  use fishing backpacks 

I wear a surf belt even in the summer when I fish for pelagics and fluke off of the beach. It's just a lot more convenient to have Boga/pliers on the belt and have a water bottle holder that's on the bag especially in the summer.

You don't want to be swinging the bag around your belt trying to grab your boga or pliers while trying to unhook a fish in addition to holding a rod trying to keep tension on the line. Have the boga/pliers on the side of the belt that you reel with so that you can pull fish in with your other arm and reach for your tools on your belt with the arm you reel with.

When i fish jetties i just put my pliers on my regular pants belt. My boga i just clip to the shoulder strap of my bag. I take the bag off while fishing jetties anyway so it works well enough for those long walks down the beach when the piping plovers shut the 4x4 access down