BillHoo

October shore fishing trip

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Looking to visit one of the first major cities in Maine from the train sometime in mid-October.  Is that the off-season?

 

Is there anything to catch from the shore, docks or piers?  Is flounder, mackerel, herring or squid running where they can be fished from the shore?

 

Also, what are the good local spots to eat?  I hear Susan's Fish and Chips is good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid October in Maine might be after the "Fat Lady Sang", mid September might be a better bet. Susans might still be on their game though, cooking and catching have their differences. Wish you luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually hang it up in mid October around Columbus Day or whatever the hell the political correctness people are calling it this year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stripers are sometimes here, You have chances of getting a sea run brown in the same outlets stripers frequent. Some rivers may have early trout stocking. Reach out to some tackle shops for up to date reports. Webhannet River Bait +Tackle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I'm going to stick to the saltwater fishing.  If it's dead, I'm just going to do the touristy stuff an hang at the local clam shacks if they are still open.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the sea run browns are apparently around this year, which you typically catch (i use that term loosely) in tidal rivers (salt)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Looking to visit one of the first major cities in Maine from the train sometime in mid-October.  Is that the off-season?

 

Is there anything to catch from the shore, docks or piers?  Is flounder, mackerel, herring or squid running where they can be fished from the shore?

 

Also, what are the good local spots to eat?  I hear Susan's Fish and Chips is good.

 

 

Wait, you're going on the train?  Is it Amtrak?  Are you carrying on your gear?  Please tell. I love taking Amtrak but have never dealt with hauling my fishing gear along.anywhere on  a train.  I would like to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After first week of October it’s pockets of fish here and there and rats (which I haven’t seen this year)

 

best to focus far south for best possible action

 

The fall run here is now mid august through second week of September for best action.   Sad but true the last 6 years or so
 

in years past we have had good Oct fishing.   You never know, we have the bait, clean cooler water, maybe it changes at some point 

 

never a bad day OTW if you cherish it as such…

 

tight lines 

 

Jim 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, chisler said:

Wait, you're going on the train?  Is it Amtrak?  Are you carrying on your gear?  Please tell. I love taking Amtrak but have never dealt with hauling my fishing gear along.anywhere on  a train.  I would like to try it.

Primary mission - Get my 87 year old mother out of the house as he has been cooped up past year.  She has had all her vaccine shots.

Secondary mission - Get my brother out of the house.  He retired from police department and has been moping around the house bored.

Third mission - Eat fresh seafood, sushi, lobstah, etc.

Fourth mission - Put in some fishing for mackerel, or herring.  Or these Harbor pollock I hear about.

Fifth mission - scout around and see if my wife would want to go next time.

 

I tend to pack too many activities into a weekend trip.

 

Scheme of maneuver - Take the train (Amtrak Down Easter line) as my mother does not like to fly.  Plan B would be to take a flight in as it is cheaper and faster....under 2 hours vs. around 10 hours on train.  

Equipment - two telescopic fishing poles (not the best, but they get it done), minimal gear - No more than six pre-tied rigs, a couple sabiki, and maybe a package of gulp and something shiny.  Enough to fit a plastic box that will be carried in a large coat pocket.  Backpack cooler with 32 can capacity for fish storage if lucky.  Doubles as carrier for laundry on way home.  Frypan and backpack propane stove, or go to restaurant that will cook fish for us if we catch.

 

I might even pack my Ronco Pocket Fisherman.  I've caught some nice sized rainbow trout on that thing!

 

Schedule - Leave NJ on a Friday.  Leave ME on either Sunday night or Mon morning

 

 

Edited by BillHoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Primary mission - Get my 87 year old mother out of the house as he has been cooped up past year.  She has had all her vaccine shots.

Secondary mission - Get my brother out of the house.  He retired from police department and has been moping around the house bored.

Third mission - Eat fresh seafood, sushi, lobstah, etc.

Fourth mission - Put in some fishing for mackerel, or herring.  Or these Harbor pollock I hear about.

Fifth mission - scout around and see if my wife would want to go next time.

 

I tend to pack too many activities into a weekend trip.

 

Scheme of maneuver - Take the train (Amtrak Down Easter line) as my mother does not like to fly.  Plan B would be to take a flight in as it is cheaper and faster....under 2 hours vs. around 10 hours on train.  

Equipment - two telescopic fishing poles (not the best, but they get it done), minimal gear - No more than six pre-tied rigs, a couple sabiki, and maybe a package of gulp and something shiny.  Enough to fit a plastic box that will be carried in a large coat pocket.  Backpack cooler with 32 can capacity for fish storage if lucky.  Doubles as carrier for laundry on way home.  Frypan and backpack propane stove, or go to restaurant that will cook fish for us if we catch.

 

I might even pack my Ronco Pocket Fisherman.  I've caught some nice sized rainbow trout on that thing!

 

Schedule - Leave NJ on a Friday.  Leave ME on either Sunday night or Mon morning

 

 

Did we just get OSMEAC'd here? 'Scheme of maneuver' gave you away. :).  Sounds like a really good trip- enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  Guilty!  Old habits....

When I feel like there might be too many questions and not the kind of answers I expect, I revert to a modified OPORD format to make things clear.  It's a timeless way of making things clear for others on your intent.

 

Old Army signal guy here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, BillHoo said:

Yes.  Guilty!  Old habits....

When I feel like there might be too many questions and not the kind of answers I expect, I revert to a modified OPORD format to make things clear.  It's a timeless way of making things clear for others on your intent.

 

Old Army signal guy here.

Too good. I'm a former Marine infantry guy. Amazing how much that format makes sense in all walks of life - should probably be taught in high school to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.