Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Ahab

Nissan Armada?

29 posts in this topic

So my 2005 yuke is going to the old age home.  Still runs like a champ but those nagging old age things are saying retirement.  287k some body rust and the ac quit.  

Need to replace with some thing new or late model.  Price of Yukons is insane 80k. Plus

I was looking around and realized I always like the Nissan Armada looks.  Full size with 4wd.

Anyone own one?

Have a 05 Titan, same drive train as the Armada. 187K. Still runs great..Things to look for, manifolds crack and the cat converter is attached. Expensive job to replace.

Other than that great vehicle.

I’ve seen a few through my work, they both had rotted out rear end cradles.  Never fixed them but I’m sure it wouldn’t be cheap to do. 

7 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Have a 05 Titan, same drive train as the Armada. 187K. Still runs great..Things to look for, manifolds crack and the cat converter is attached. Expensive job to replace.

Other than that great vehicle.

Thanks.  I am looking for one with warranty.  But will have that looked at before purchase

Posted (edited) · Report post

Remember , Nissan is owned by Renault now. Really research these new Nissan modles, They have a lot of problems with them. Renualt has a bad reputation with there cars. Look what happened to Chrysler when Fiat bought them out. Problems grew.  Pesonally I wouldn't recomend a Nissan for anything let alone beach driving.  There quality is not there anymore.

Edited by hunter123

4 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Remember , Nissan is owned by Renault now. Really research these new Nissan modles, They have a lot of problems with them. Renualt has a bad reputation with there cars. Look what happened to Chrysler when Fiat bought them out. Problems grew.  Pesonally I wouldn't recomend a Nissan for anything let alone beach driving.  There quality is not there anymore.

Thanks. Will continue with research

Can't speak for the Armada.  Mother is on her 3rd Nissan Altima.   First one CVT crapped out.  Fought with the dealership and finally got it fixed.  Went out again.  Fought with dealership and made a trade deal .  One year later.......  CVT acting up.   Dealership say need reprogrammed?  Run around in circles for months.  Finally get another new one.  And guess what??    Yup.  CVT.   I wouldn't touch a Nissan CVT with the 10 foot pole used to poke the hairy Russian girl at the bar at 2 am.   Having said that,. I like the older Nissans.  Some are way underrated.  WAY UNDERRATED!!

Look into Lexus GX470 or GX460.  Prices have increased recently in the used car market and these things used to be an awesome deal.  But you can get a brand new one in the 50’s.  They have one of the most reliable gas engines in them that has ever been built.  They are Toyota Prados with Lexus badging.  Amazing off road, just get one with 18” wheels so you can get meatier tires on them.  

Edited by animalbarrie

10 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Look into Lexus GX470 or GX460.  Prices have increased recently in the used car market and these things used to be an awesome deal.  But you can get a brand new one in the 50’s.  They have one of the most reliable gas engines in them have ever been built.  They are Toyota Prados with Lexus badging.  Amazing off road, just get one with 18” wheels so you can get meatier tires on them.  

I will take a look - thanks

22 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Look into Lexus GX470 or GX460.  Prices have increased recently in the used car market and these things used to be an awesome deal.  But you can get a brand new one in the 50’s.  They have one of the most reliable gas engines in them have ever been built.  They are Toyota Prados with Lexus badging.  Amazing off road, just get one with 18” wheels so you can get meatier tires on them.  

Are they 4WD or AWD? If AWD don't even look.

12 mins ago, Cascade said:

Are they 4WD or AWD? If AWD don't even look.

4wd.  They are Toyota Prados with Lexus badging.  The GX is an over built beast.   Essentially a mini Land Cruiser.  

When I am done with my Grand Cherokee Overland the GX is my next beach rig.  

Edited by animalbarrie

A buddy has the Armada, it’s probably about 5-6 years old and he bought it used. He loves it. I’ve driven in it on the beach inHatteras and the truck was fine. It’s huge inside too btw

On 7/19/2021 at 6:17 PM, Captain Ahab said:

Thanks.  I am looking for one with warranty.  But will have that looked at before purchase

Manifolds and cat are not covered by warranty. Tried to get Nissan to cover it but they said it was not a recall item. Common problem on the V8 engine

Both mine went,fixed one so far.

I think the Armada has independent rear suspension vs the straight axle on my truck. This could be the source of some of the problems stated above.

The Titan/Armada platform has been used since 2004. Time tested and proven.

All I can add is I wish mine would die already but it will not.

Like I said, Since Nisan was bought by Renault they have gone down hill with quality and backing warranties. Pesonaly I would go with a Toyo 4 Runner. I have a Jeep now, but if I wasn't 71, I would look at a 4 Runner. Jeep is still in great shape, no major problems, but if she died tomorrow, there would be a used 4 Runner in my drive way.:howdy: 

Edited by hunter123