Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seadogg

Hard as Hull thinner

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I’ve been using HAH for years and I like it, but I don’t like buying the thinner for 5 bucks a bottle to maintain proper consistency. Without occasional thinning it has a tendency to thicken up over time. Does anyone have any certain idea what this stuff is or any experience with successfully thinning it with another solvent? Smells a lot like nail polish remover to me, but I’m looking to hear others’ experiences before potentially ruining a bottle of the thinner. 

I know plagiarism isn’t kool..  I clipped this from a fly tying web site.  The responder is a chemist.  I purchased LC acrylic from him years ago which gives him more credibility than most but treat it as second hand info.  This is just a clip from a much larger discussion on the same question.

Thanks Mike. As I predicted the first 2 ingredients in all three nail polishes are Ethyl Acetate and Butyl Acetate which are also the first two ingredients of Hard as Hull (The ingredients of Hard as Hull are Ethyl Acetate, N-butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nitrocellulose, N-butyl Alcohol, and Camphor)

Beauty Secrets Nail Polish Thinner ingredients are Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, and Heptane.

The reason I recommend Nail polish thinner is that it contains very same chemicals as nail polish. Because nail salon workers are exposed to nail polish fumes all day, Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, and Heptane are safer than Acetone. They are also less volatile and your head cement will last longer.

Read up on Ethyl Acetate and Butyl Acetate below. Both are found naturally in foods and Butyl Acetate ( N-butly Acetate) is even used as a flavoring in food.

Ethyl acetate - Wikipedia "Ethyl acetate is used primarily as a solvent and diluent, being favored because of its low cost, low toxicity, and agreeable odor."