dbjpb

sup for fishing

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone converted one of their sup for fishing ? It looks like you can easily add a seat/ 5 gallon cooler bucket and a fish finder . The sup weighs about 25 lbs. The 5 gallon bucket/seat/cooler weighs 12 lbs.

I would imagine sitting you would be better off with a kayak paddle ? Looks like I can attach a rod holder to the bucket/ seat/ cooler ?  Once rigged up it looks like a good amount of deck space is lost.

Also I realize the transducer arm for the fish finder will create a good amount of drag.  Spending  some vacation time on lakes this year and thought it may help to pass the time to be able to fish from the 

sup ?   It think this type of setup could work in the bay on a calm day. I think it would be hard to launch into the ocean with all that gear on deck even on a calm day ? 

22 mins ago, dbjpb said:

Has anyone converted one of their sup for fishing ? It looks like you can easily add a seat/ 5 gallon cooler bucket and a fish finder . The sup weighs about 25 lbs. The 5 gallon bucket/seat/cooler weighs 12 lbs.

I would imagine sitting you would be better off with a kayak paddle ? Looks like I can attach a rod holder to the bucket/ seat/ cooler ?  Once rigged up it looks like a good amount of deck space is lost.

Also I realize the transducer arm for the fish finder will create a good amount of drag.  Spending  some vacation time on lakes this year and thought it may help to pass the time to be able to fish from the 

sup ?   It think this type of setup could work in the bay on a calm day. I think it would be hard to launch into the ocean with all that gear on deck even on a calm day ? 

I use a Jimmy Styx 11ft. I have used similar in freshwater but K.I.S.S. in both fresh and salt. 

I keep it simple. One rod on a leash, a belt with pliers, knife and a small plug bag. I target school bass in salt ponds as well as fluke off the beach when calm. Had some fun with chub mackerel last year in the light gear. No seat or other gear, but I am usually only doing an hour or two at dawn.

I plan on getting wet in the ocean and just launch through the surf in a board shorts or a wetsuit if chilly. I SUP surf as well with a smaller board so my comfort launching is relatively high. 

In fresh (more limited) I bring a rod, pack of senkos and hooks and paddle around docks and floats when on vacation in Maine. 

Give it a go without conversion first. I've done it flyfishing and fluking a few times but it's kind of frustrating going to this type of setup when used to a pedal yak. 

The first modification I would make is finding a good place to put your paddle when you aren't using it but somewhere handy enough so that you can grab it when you get blown off your spot. Wind, even light wind, is much more of an issue, you will be your own sail. Its not really on my mind so much when I'm not using the board for fishing... because the paddle is always in hand and I always have control over my position. As soon as you put the paddle down to fish, you start to feel it. 

I have an 11' x 32" wide inflatable SUP that I fly fish off of.  I got one of the Bote racks and added extra rod holders, paddle holder, and cup holder.  Scotty makes glue on pads for float tubes that worked to mount the holders for the Bote rack. 

It doesn't get in the way if you mount it towards the front or back of the board.  I have a small Engel cooler that doubles as a seat on longer trips.   I really like fishing off of it but usually for the salt I take the kayak as its much more efficient with wind and tides

20200829_084137.jpg.213fb1e48218aa6b7f2f9b5975db85b3.jpg

I've had this one for about 10 years, came with a fishing package option with a couple of Scotty rod holders (the plug for second one is behind the cooler).  I added the cooler seat, the paddle just slips under the bungees up front, capacity is about 320 lbs so it's a tank.  I use mine mostly for floating the smallmouth rivers down here.SUP1.JPG.61efb34ecde17e3460bbfec8fa57a0e3.JPG