af15e

TA Angler's Clips — Fish Know how to Use Em'

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

So last night I was unhooking a Striper —75lb TA Clip w/ 1/2oz Bucktail crushed barbs for the little ones clipped on— and the little fellow unhooked himself for me. 

When I looked down my elation turned to desolation, the bucktail was gone and all that was left in my hand was the TA clip. Apparently, my hand was on the clip as he thrashed about and I guess the angle was perfect. I felt like junk because he took off with the hook in his mouth.

Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else??

Happens to me all the time depending on the size leader I'm using like for example 30lb fluro is going to slip right off from the clip so I try to double loop to the clip hoping I don't just throw it off. but with like 60lb it's better so u don't really have to double loop it. I use a small perfection loop to the TA clip. Also try to make the loop as small as possible I find that the bigger the loop your more likely to throw the clip off. It's really frustrating when I lose gear because of the clip being thrown off. Also probably you just need to hold the lure instead of the clip when unhooking if possible. 

Never been an issue with any flouro I've used (20-60#). Normally I tie the TA with a palomar. If I want "loop" action I'll tie direct.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yep they can jump the clip that's for sure, I had a gator jump the clip and took my zigzag with him.

I must add that with the plugs  I build that doesn't happen unless it's the leader that moves around and gets off instead of the plug because the screw eyes I use are 092 gauge and they're too thick to just simply slip off but plugs like zigzags and other custom plugs that are wired the wire is still thin enough for it to slip right under there.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Never at my feet.  While fishing in Jersey a few years ago, I beached and released a high-teens striper during a December blitz.  Next cast gets an immediate hit, then slack line.  WTF???  Reel in to find only the clip attached to my line.  LDR.  

Now I check my clip much more frequently, and always after a fish.

Never once and I've been using TA's since the first bag I got out of Al's trunk

Of course I hold the jig head not the clip when unhooking a fish (how do you even manage to hold the little clip with a fish thrashing around :headscratch:)

Duolocks I've had open up on me, never a TA

8 hours ago, Treema said:

Happens to me all the time depending on the size leader I'm using like for example 30lb fluro is going to slip right off from the clip so I try to double loop to the clip hoping I don't just throw it off. but with like 60lb it's better so u don't really have to double loop it. I use a small perfection loop to the TA clip. Also try to make the loop as small as possible I find that the bigger the loop your more likely to throw the clip off. It's really frustrating when I lose gear because of the clip being thrown off. Also probably you just need to hold the lure instead of the clip when unhooking if possible. 

I have to ask, why are you using a loop knot on a TA clip? The loop not sliding around the clip is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. You’ll be much better off using a knot that cinches tight to the clip to minimize slipping ( palomar for example).

2 mins ago, Dave T. said:

I have to ask, why are you using a loop knot on a TA clip? 

I missed that part

Loops on any paperclip snap are a bad idea, stick to palomars

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Never at my feet.  While fishing in Jersey a few years ago, I beached and released a high-teens striper during a December blitz.  Next cast gets an immediate hit, then slack line.  WTF???  Reel in to find only the clip attached to my line.  LDR.  

Now I check my clip much more frequently, and always after a fish.

It's not the strength of the clip that failed. It's the angle of attack.  This usually happened when you have slack or semi slack line.  They wack it at the same angle that you take the plug off.  I am missing a few plastic plugs every year due to this, but I won't be switching anytime soon for the pure convenience of plug changing.

1 min ago, hobobob said:

It's not the strength of the clip that failed. It's the angle of attack.  This usually happened when you have slack or semi slack line.  They wack it at the same angle that you take the plug off.  I am missing a few plastic plugs every year due to this, but I won't be switching anytime soon for the pure convenience of plug changing.

Agreed.  The clip wasn't deformed at all.  

Your catching Houdini fish, never had one escape from a TA Clip, I actually prefer Duo-Lock which I consider inferior but I don't like putting jigs and some other lures on the TA style clips.

Issues with TA clips are far and few between. 
2x’s had bass remove my plug and clip with the knot still intact.

Some cheap fluro leaders do not hold knots well on the clips.

Large bucktails and tins can distort them but they still work fine.

I loose far more stuff due to other issues than the clips themselves.

26 mins ago, Dave T. said:

I have to ask, why are you using a loop knot on a TA clip? The loop not sliding around the clip is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen. You’ll be much better off using a knot that cinches tight to the clip to minimize slipping ( palomar for example).

The reason for using the loop is so the action of my plug or jig is Freely swing it creates a better action on jigs if it's a loop basically acts like a barrel swivel. I tie straight from braid to fluoro. Plus it's faster for me to tie a perfection then a clinch. Basically some of its convenience some of it is for the action.

2 hours ago, Treema said:

The reason for using the loop is so the action of my plug or jig is Freely swing it creates a better action on jigs if it's a loop basically acts like a barrel swivel. I tie straight from braid to fluoro. Plus it's faster for me to tie a perfection then a clinch. Basically some of its convenience some of it is for the action.

Unless your clip is too big for the eye of the lure it should provide all the movement needed. Only time I use loop knots is tying plugs or jigs direct to heavy shock leaders. Loop knots sliding all over the inside of your clip is absolutely the reason for your frequent  failures of keeping the clip attached to your leader. I am not saying a palomar or improved clinch can’t still slid but I have been using them for years and have not had it ever happen to me personally and I do tend to get out quite a bit. 

Edited by Dave T.

12 hours ago, af15e said:

75lb TA Clip w/ 1/2oz Bucktail crushed barbs for the little ones clipped on— and the little fellow unhooked himself for me...the bucktail was gone and all that was left in my hand was the TA clip.

I used the 125 lb TAC clips for stripers & blues and have never had a lure come off.  Although, the 125 lb TAC might be a little big for the eye of a 1/2oz bucktail.  Eventually the opened end of the TAC usually bends a little if you take a lot of lures on & off, especially if the eye on the lure(s) is thick. I use needle nose pliers to line them back up correctly.

Edited by zak-striper