The Riddler

A question for Commercial Striped Bass Anglers

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Dave Peros said:

Once and for all, can we stop the bull**** about "deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught. meal as God intended" argument? I wonder if God would be able to afford striped bass at $25 a pound? Folks used the argument about the necessity of commercial striped bass fishing since the little old lady down the street couldn't go fishing and they were providing a service by making bass available to her. Now she would have to take out a loan to afford it.

I will leave the commercial fishing bashing to others, but I will argue all day that "recremercials" don't belong in this fishery. If you can't provide evidence through documentation, such as tax returns, that at least, say 80%, of your income comes from selling fish, then you're out of the fishery. Go do your job and leave the fishing to people who have elected to accept the challenge of making a living on the water, rather than doing some other kind of work with a salary or guaranteed hourly wage and impacting real commercial fishermen who deal with vagaries of this type of living each and every day.  

thanks for your opinion dave, no one cares everyone who works on the water has 2/3 jobs it's seasonal work at best. 

Scientific proof.  Scientific proof ? What scientist ? Payed by who ? Scientific proof you say. Yea right. My scientific proof is what I see and witness. I

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

It doesn’t cost the rec fisherman who eats their keeper $25 a pound.   Follow their example.

Yeah it probably costs 10 times that amount when you factor in the cost of gear, gas and boat. 

2 hours ago, MAArcher said:

It doesn’t cost the rec fisherman who eats their keeper $25 a pound.   Follow their example.

Really how many hours have you spent fishing for your 4 keepers this year??

of course not counting the catch and release   scouting you have done at 9% mortality.

14 hours ago, Dave Peros said:

Once and for all, can we stop the bull**** about "deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught. meal as God intended" argument? I wonder if God would be able to afford striped bass at $25 a pound? Folks used the argument about the necessity of commercial striped bass fishing since the little old lady down the street couldn't go fishing and they were providing a service by making bass available to her. Now she would have to take out a loan to afford it.

I will leave the commercial fishing bashing to others, but I will argue all day that "recremercials" don't belong in this fishery. If you can't provide evidence through documentation, such as tax returns, that at least, say 80%, of your income comes from selling fish, then you're out of the fishery. Go do your job and leave the fishing to people who have elected to accept the challenge of making a living on the water, rather than doing some other kind of work with a salary or guaranteed hourly wage and impacting real commercial fishermen who deal with vagaries of this type of living each and every day.  

Sorry......The cat is way to far out of the bag for that type of thinking.......

On 7/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, Sportsmun said:

So that means 9% of the under sized fish you release and on your “scouting” trips are also feeding the crabs.

Not to mention all the fish he kills trying to reach his daily quota. I'm guessing quite a few throwbacks to get to 15 fish.

Not necessarily. Most comm guys try to target large only. Hook smalls move on till find large. They know how to not waste time and eels 

15 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Not necessarily. Most comm guys try to target large only. Hook smalls move on till find large. They know how to not waste time and eels 

Thats a valid point.  I'm sure some guys have it dialed in.. But I think you are giving too much credit to commercials angling prowess as a whole. Alot of them are just your average fishermen making a few bucks in the course of a day on the water. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Thats a valid point.  I'm sure some guys have it dialed in.. But I think you are giving too much credit to commercials angling prowess as a whole. Alot of them are just your average fishermen making a few bucks in the course of a day on the water. 

Point well made, and may I add in all cases they're literally talking about a few bucks.  In the course of their annual earnings, striper money probably makes up <15%.   I mean, they'll be lucky to fill 50% of the quota this year. So how much real money can we be talking about? :why:

Edited by bob_G

Let's say 20 boats locate a school and sit on it all season. 20 boats x 45 fish per week x 6 weeks (conservative length of season) = more than 5000 prime breeders removed. How much of that school is left at the end of the season?

1 min ago, akoller said:

Let's say 20 boats locate a school and sit on it all season. 20 boats x 45 fish per week x 6 weeks (conservative length of season) = more than 5000 prime breeders removed. How much of that school is left at the end of the season?

That's if they limit out and fish on the legal days.  The OP stated that he witnessed them fishing on an off day.  May as well say 7 days a week.  8 days a week if they had their druthers.

As far as how much is left, who knows?  It's not like tracking large wild animals on land.  You can only broadly guess based on what you believe, comparing catches to past seasons.

I would guess it's easier to fish on off days and sell on legal days, so meeting the 45 fish/week limit gets easier if you expand the week to fishing 7 days/week. For instance they were out last night and from what I heard the previous two nights.

4 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Not to mention all the fish he kills trying to reach his daily quota. I'm guessing quite a few throwbacks to get to 15 fish.

You'd be guessing wrong.  2% of total mortality is commercial waste.

Catch and Release of Striped Bass Mortality vs Reality – American Saltwater  Guides Association