The Riddler

A question for Commercial Striped Bass Anglers

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Same right as you have to feed one in ten fish you catch and release to the crabs.

Every response is about feeding the crabs. Is that the only comeback you have against C & R fishing?

2 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Who is more selfish than you?  You deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught meal as God intended because it makes you feel good to torture a fish and you don't even care that some of the tortured fish die.  How is that not the greediest?  There's no reasonable way to show that what you do is in any way more moral than what I do.  

I couldn’t have said it better. :hi5:

15 mins ago, z-man said:

Every response is about feeding the crabs. Is that the only comeback you have against C & R fishing?

Isn't it enough?   

And if you've read my posts then you know I don't have anything against catch and release.  You are entitled to the fish that we own equally.  If you want to feed yours to the crab, then so be it.  I want mine to be eaten.   The reason we're arguing is because you want to be able to kill and throw away not only the fish that you already do, but you want to kill and throw away mine too as well as all the ones that consumers want to buy.  I say tuff ****.  Catch and release fishermen aren't the only ones entitled to kill fish.   

26 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Isn't it enough?   

And if you've read my posts then you know I don't have anything against catch and release.  You are entitled to the fish that we own equally.  If you want to feed yours to the crab, then so be it.  I want mine to be eaten.   The reason we're arguing is because you want to be able to kill and throw away not only the fish that you already do, but you want to kill and throw away mine too as well as all the ones that consumers want to buy.  I say tuff ****.  Catch and release fishermen aren't the only ones entitled to kill fish.   

What in the hell are you evening rambling about? Why is there so much killing going on in your demented view of C&R fishing? 

1 hour ago, Sportsmun said:

Normally I’d be hurt by that but with you I’ll take one of your special spots anyway I can get it. What time should I meet you at the ramp?

See that's the thing. I foolishly fished from Plymouth  to Joppa thru the 90's and mid 2000's just in case. :manpig:

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Finneus said:

I know your thing is putting commercial and recreational guys against each other but that isn’t my thing. If the striped bass fishery declines to the point that they banned targeting them for recreational C&R then I would abide by those rules. I wouldn’t argue I have the right to catch the last few bass in the water. 

That’s not my thing.  I just want rec guys to acknowledge that they feed bass to the crabs, and just as they are entitled to do that I’m entitled to eat the same amount.  I don’t do anything illegal either.

Edited by MAArcher

3 hours ago, z-man said:

What in the hell are you evening rambling about? Why is there so much killing going on in your demented view of C&R fishing? 

Because the most recent scientific study shows 9% of released fish die.  What’s demented is saying it’s not true with no evidence to back it up.

11 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Because the most recent scientific study shows 9% of released fish die.  

So that means 9% of the under sized fish you release and on your “scouting” trips are also feeding the crabs.

56 mins ago, Sportsmun said:

So that means 9% of the under sized fish you release and on your “scouting” trips are also feeding the crabs.

Yes.  But that’s what the law requires.  I don’t agree with it.  I think in times of trouble we should only be taking small fish and not catching and releasing at all.  And have gear and method restrictions if we are also worried about age stratification or close all manner of fishing for them if it’s that bad.

3 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Because the most recent scientific study shows 9% of released fish die.  What’s demented is saying it’s not true with no evidence to back it up.

When have I ever said release mortality is not true? What I have said is 9% is the average and those of us that fish single hook artificials and aren’t having photo shoots with the fish are around 1 to 2% mortality rates. We know your mortality rate is 100% on comm days what is it on your scouting missions fishing bait?

16 hours ago, giggyfish said:

I couldn’t have said it better. :hi5:

That’s the post you can relate to the most out of everything that was said in here…are you living under a rock?

killing 15 breeding size fish per day, 4 days a week when the fishery is in sharp decline…not to mention based on a quota that the spawning biomass likely can’t support because it hasn’t even been met in several years. Yeah that’s pretty damn greedy, much more so than letting a fish swim away, to grow and hopefully be caught by another angler for their enjoyment.

22 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

That’s the post you can relate to the most out of everything that was said in here…are you living under a rock?

killing 15 breeding size fish per day, 4 days a week when the fishery is in sharp decline…not to mention based on a quota that the spawning biomass likely can’t support because it hasn’t even been met in several years. Yeah that’s pretty damn greedy, much more so than letting a fish swim away, to grow and hopefully be caught by another angler for their enjoyment.

its only 3 days i wish it was 4 

On 7/21/2021 at 0:16 PM, MAArcher said:

I've said I don't make the rules but I have to abide by them.   I would much rather preferred to be able to keep the fish rather than risk wasting it.  I have no problems working loop holes in the system, especially if the system is stupid, broken and devoid of logic and reason.

Who is more selfish than you?  You deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught meal as God intended because it makes you feel good to torture a fish and you don't even care that some of the tortured fish die.  How is that not the greediest?  There's no reasonable way to show that what you do is in any way more moral than what I do.  

Once and for all, can we stop the bull**** about "deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught. meal as God intended" argument? I wonder if God would be able to afford striped bass at $25 a pound? Folks used the argument about the necessity of commercial striped bass fishing since the little old lady down the street couldn't go fishing and they were providing a service by making bass available to her. Now she would have to take out a loan to afford it.

I will leave the commercial fishing bashing to others, but I will argue all day that "recremercials" don't belong in this fishery. If you can't provide evidence through documentation, such as tax returns, that at least, say 80%, of your income comes from selling fish, then you're out of the fishery. Go do your job and leave the fishing to people who have elected to accept the challenge of making a living on the water, rather than doing some other kind of work with a salary or guaranteed hourly wage and impacting real commercial fishermen who deal with vagaries of this type of living each and every day.  

51 mins ago, Dave Peros said:

Once and for all, can we stop the bull**** about "deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught. meal as God intended" argument? I wonder if God would be able to afford striped bass at $25 a pound? Folks used the argument about the necessity of commercial striped bass fishing since the little old lady down the street couldn't go fishing and they were providing a service by making bass available to her. Now she would have to take out a loan to afford it.

I will leave the commercial fishing bashing to others, but I will argue all day that "recremercials" don't belong in this fishery. If you can't provide evidence through documentation, such as tax returns, that at least, say 80%, of your income comes from selling fish, then you're out of the fishery. Go do your job and leave the fishing to people who have elected to accept the challenge of making a living on the water, rather than doing some other kind of work with a salary or guaranteed hourly wage and impacting real commercial fishermen who deal with vagaries of this type of living each and every day.  

Explain why it’s better for fish when the fishery managers have to decide between putting people in financial ruin and doing what’s best for the fish?  How does anyone benefit long term from having only full time commercial fishing?  Also explained How part time me fishermen hurt the fishery?

read my posts.  I explain clearly why eating striper is environmentally better for all. 

On 7/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, The Riddler said:

14 Boats off Metro Boston filling their quota un an unauthorized night. I want to know your thoughts on this Comm Bass Anglers. I know most have ethics. You think this is ok having the Commercial Fleet decimate the Bass on a Sunday Night before Midnight? What do you think their fate should be? 

fine per fish and pull the licenses ...no need for it other than greed