The Riddler

A question for Commercial Striped Bass Anglers

Rate this topic

164 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, Vaporizor said:

There needs to be 0 commercial fishing days.

ya never gunna happen because you shut us down are quota goes to other states. you will never see another bass this side of the cape! 

1 hour ago, Sportsmun said:

What a crock!  Scouting…..recreational fishing……potato ….potarto. By the way do the fish stay there and wait for you to come back for them?

They kinda do up here. You are one angler I would like to bring out and show you and then promptly put the boat in reverse when you stand up on the bow. 

1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

I've said I don't make the rules but I have to abide by them.   I would much rather preferred to be able to keep the fish rather than risk wasting it.  I have no problems working loop holes in the system, especially if the system is stupid, broken and devoid of logic and reason.

Who is more selfish than you?  You deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught meal as God intended because it makes you feel good to torture a fish and you don't even care that some of the tortured fish die.  How is that not the greediest?  There's no reasonable way to show that what you do is in any way more moral than what I do.  

People will not be denied fresh fish if commercial bass fishing is eliminated. Is selling a dying resource to make some beer money how god intended it too?

On 7/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, Stripernut1 said:

I have work with/around comm guys for years and like any group, there is the good and the bad. I believe once you have demonstrated that you can not follow the rules you should have your license pulled, at least for the rest of the year, and a second offense forever. The same should be true for Rec guys that can not follow the rules... So long as it can be looked at as a "Cost of Doing Business" it will just keep happening. obviously, enforcement needs to be better in both segments... We, both Rec and Comm are taking from the commons, if we demonstrate that we can not be responsible, then we should have that right taken away.

We don't need anymore "rights" taken away.. We do however need much better true education 

from  most importantly independent contractors to really tell us show us 

the true state of the fishery Bass ect the numbers spawning moments cycles where things are truly at ect We need true and unbiased info ..and yes enforcement.. and  for those who have no personal responsibility rich or poor...Have  fines go up dramatically on a sliding scale for each offense 

it will eventually and quickly  no longer be worth the effort to destroy what others are working so hard to 

fix.. We all want to see the 40 50 60 lbers consistantly again.. Humans can drive an atom into an atom 

we can surely fix this without taking rights away .. Rights and Freedom for me are priority ..

knuckleheads will be Knuckleheads can't fix stupid but you can however fine the sh@t out them

till its not worth it ...Best 

2 mins ago, Carlezon said:

We don't need anymore "rights" taken away.. We do however need much better true education 

from  most importantly independent contractors to really tell us show us 

the true state of the fishery Bass ect the numbers spawning moments cycles where things are truly at ect We need true and unbiased info ..and yes enforcement.. and  for those who have no personal responsibility rich or poor...Have  fines go up dramatically on a sliding scale for each offense 

it will eventually and quickly  no longer be worth the effort to destroy what others are working so hard to 

fix.. We all want to see the 40 50 60 lbers consistantly again.. Humans can drive an atom into an atom 

we can surely fix this without taking rights away .. Rights and Freedom for me are priority ..

knuckleheads will be Knuckleheads can't fix stupid but you can however fine the sh@t out them

till its not worth it ...Best 

What right do you have to take a publicly managed resource? 

12 mins ago, Finneus said:

Ha.. publicly managed resource.. good one if you think its a publicly managed resource 

its called the "golden rule" those that have the gold have the rule..

Not that I think they need a fish to feed their family cause thats not the context But 

thats one right in my view that superceeds your publicly managed resource .. 

its loaded and "relative" question.. what about water? on and on its self answering 

The right to fish should always be there the cost to fish however is the equalizer 

They take themselves out of the game..without infringing on rights..A right isn't a 

right if you can just take it away..See George Carlin "Rights"  Best 

3 mins ago, Carlezon said:

Ha.. publicly managed resource.. good one if you think its a publicly managed resource 

its called the "golden rule" those that have the gold have the rule..

Not that I think they need a fish to feed their family cause thats not the context But 

thats one right in my view that superceeds your publicly managed resource .. 

its loaded and "relative" question.. what about water? on and on its self answering 

The right to fish should always be there the cost to fish however is the equalizer 

They take themselves out of the game..without infringing on rights..A right isn't a 

right if you can just take it away..See George Carlin "Rights"  Best 

If it is not managed, it will disappear. I’m sure the North American cod fisherman in the ‘70s and ‘80s thought that they had a God-given right to those fish as well.

50 mins ago, z-man said:

People will not be denied fresh fish if commercial bass fishing is eliminated. Is selling a dying resource to make some beer money how god intended it too?

Is torturing fish before you feed them to the crabs because it’s fun more likely what God intended?

If you eliminate striper, then it will put more pressure on other species.

44 mins ago, Finneus said:

Same right as you have to feed one in ten fish you catch and release to the crabs.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

They kinda do up here. You are one angler I would like to bring out and show you and then promptly put the boat in reverse when you stand up on the bow. 

Normally I’d be hurt by that but with you I’ll take one of your special spots anyway I can get it. What time should I meet you at the ramp?

1 min ago, MAArcher said:

Same right as you have to feed one in ten fish you catch and release to the crabs.

I know your thing is putting commercial and recreational guys against each other but that isn’t my thing. If the striped bass fishery declines to the point that they banned targeting them for recreational C&R then I would abide by those rules. I wouldn’t argue I have the right to catch the last few bass in the water. 

9 mins ago, Finneus said:

If it is not managed, it will disappear. I’m sure the North American cod fisherman in the ‘70s and ‘80s thought that they had a God-given right to those fish as well.

Where in what I said previously.. did I say the fishery should not be managed ? actually the contrary..

Results desired..2 Course of action.. and 3 speed of recovery.. this is like my view on" Imminent  domain" which should only and ever be allowed if theres no profit involved financially which it doesn't its almost always financially motivated ....Those cod fisherman you speak of are not  just bringing a few fish home to gain sustenance.. There for profit..I absolutely think it should be managed and a lot better then its currently being.. 

2 mins ago, Carlezon said:

Where in what I said previously.. did I say the fishery should not be managed ? actually the contrary..

Results desired..2 Course of action.. and 3 speed of recovery.. this is like my view on" Imminent  domain" which should only and ever be allowed if theres no profit involved financially which it doesn't its almost always financially motivated ....Those cod fisherman you speak of are not  just bringing a few fish home to gain sustenance.. There for profit..I absolutely think it should be managed and a lot better then its currently being.. 

I guess I misunderstood your post. I took what you wrote to mean that your right to fish superseded any other public interest in managing the stock. 

Just now, Finneus said:

I guess I misunderstood your post. I took what you wrote to mean that your right to fish superseded any other public interest in managing the stock. 

No you took it right the part you missed was for profit.. 

2 hours ago, joely804 said:

ya never gunna happen because you shut us down are quota goes to other states. you will never see another bass this side of the cape! 

That is totally untrue. NJ uses it commercial quota for it recreational bonus fish program. CT just doesn't use its quota, but its not taken by other states.