The Riddler

A question for Commercial Striped Bass Anglers

Rate this topic

164 posts in this topic

These comm guys fishing early probably doesn’t matter much to the quota but it does matter to the rec guy that thinks he can fish on a non comm day and then ends up surrounded by comms boats. There’s a reason why the comm days are all during a week. It’s to give the rec guys a break. 

These fools who still beat the dead horse of a fishery and claim its there lively hood , also probably have there wives and daughters hooking on the corner to get grocery money as well. Bunch of fool defenders of these guys, just close the fishery and give gamefish status

9 hours ago, joely804 said:

getting tired of you rec guys killing schoolies and ruining this fishery. 

Great first post. You joined just for that. Get a job. 

21 mins ago, hydraman said:

Great first post. You joined just for that. Get a job. 

Well said.  I was thinking the same thing.

10 hours ago, joely804 said:

getting tired of you rec guys killing schoolies and ruining this fishery. 

You’re not going to make many friends here with that first post. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

As Z-Man said, the purpose of limited commercial striper fishing days is not to limit catch, it is to try and avoid user group conflict.   That's why commercial fisherman can't fish for striper on the 4th of July if it falls on an otherwise commercial day, because so many recreation anglers are on the water then and the rec anglers make a lot of fuss if they see some people keeping fish they themselves can't.  Limiting days can also help spread the catch over a greater time period which can improve prices and help limit waste.  

So if all 14 of those boats were commercial guys, and they weren't disrupting recreational fishing, then the technicality of the law was broken, but not the spirit or intent of the law.   So as with any crime, the punishment should fit.   How many of you guys who would say "hang them" drive even just one mile per hour over the posted speed limit?  The speed limit is there for everyone's safety, so in theory when you exceed it, you put everyone else's life in danger.  Which crime is more egregious, endangering the life of everyone around you or making a recreational angler feel crowded?  Are you OK with the cops taking your car when you go a couple miles over the speed limit, or are you just a jealous, selfish, emotional, hypocrite who can't make reasonable and logical decisions?  

I went out early this past Sunday.  I had to work early Monday so I could only really commercial fish from Midnight to around 1am.  My goal was to catch and release fish to find where they are (I just wanted to know where they were, I didn't want to waste my one hour of commercial fishing time drifting over marks that were just sturgeon not bass.)    Then if I caught some bass I'd have an idea of where my one hour was best spent.   I didn't catch anything so it didn't matter.  But if I was on the water just "scouting" then I think its possible some other commercial guys do the same thing, and there's no law against it.    

Edited by MAArcher

What a crock!  Scouting…..recreational fishing……potato ….potarto. By the way do the fish stay there and wait for you to come back for them?

1 min ago, Sportsmun said:

What a crock!  Scouting…..recreational fishing……potato ….potarto. By the way do the fish stay there and wait for you to come back for them?

Seriously? You've never returned to a spot where you've caught fish hoping to catch another?

25 mins ago, MAArcher said:

As Z-Man said, the purpose of limited commercial striper fishing days is not to limit catch, it is to try and avoid user group conflict.   That's why commercial fisherman can't fish for striper on the 4th of July if it falls on an otherwise commercial day, because so many recreation anglers are on the water then and the rec anglers make a lot of fuss if they see some people keeping fish they themselves can't.

So if all 14 of those boats were commercial guys, and they weren't disrupting recreational fishing, then the technicality of the law was broken, but not the spirit or intent of the law.   So as with any crime, the punishment should fit.   How many of you guys who would say "hang them" drive even just one mile per hour over the posted speed limit?  The speed limit is there for everyone's safety, so in theory when you exceed it, you put everyone else's life in danger.  Which crime is more egregious, endangering the life of everyone around you or making a recreational angler feel crowded?  Are you OK with the cops taking your car when you go a couple miles over the speed limit, or are you just a jealous, selfish, emotional, hypocrite who can't make reasonable and logical decisions?  

I went out early this past Sunday.  I had to work early Monday so I could only really commercial fish from Midnight to around 1am.  My goal was to catch and release fish to find where they are (I just wanted to know where they were, I didn't want to waste my one hour of commercial fishing time drifting over marks that were just sturgeon not bass.)    Then if I caught some bass I'd have an idea of where my one hour was best spent.   I didn't catch anything so it didn't matter.  But if I was on the water just "scouting" then I think its possible some other commercial guys do the same thing, and there's no law against it.    

Your goal was to catch and release fish? You’ve been preaching for months that catch and release fishermen are destroying the fishery and just feeding crabs but then you go out and do it yourself. You truly are selfish and only do what’s best for yourself. You bend the rules and scam the system so you can keep the most for yourself. Pure greed.  

1 min ago, z-man said:

Your goal was to catch and release fish? You’ve been preaching for months that catch and release fishermen are destroying the fishery and just feeding crabs but then you go out and do it yourself. You truly are selfish and only do what’s best for yourself. You bend the rules and scam the system so you can keep the most for yourself. Pure greed.  

I've said I don't make the rules but I have to abide by them.   I would much rather preferred to be able to keep the fish rather than risk wasting it.  I have no problems working loop holes in the system, especially if the system is stupid, broken and devoid of logic and reason.

Who is more selfish than you?  You deny people the opportunity to have a fresh wild caught meal as God intended because it makes you feel good to torture a fish and you don't even care that some of the tortured fish die.  How is that not the greediest?  There's no reasonable way to show that what you do is in any way more moral than what I do.  

I used to be a commercial guy in the late 90s early 2000s. There were fish then . No so much now. It is obvious ang the fool who still continue to decimate the fishery just because some law makers saw you can make a few dollars..........slave to the dollar ,