The Riddler

A question for Commercial Striped Bass Anglers

Rate this topic

164 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob for your information and any one else interested the average male gray seal consumes any whey from 4 to 6 percent of there body weight every day On the low side this is around 35 pounds and on the high side 50 plus pounds of food every single day The harbor seals consume from 12 to 18 pounds of food every day. Granted they all eat a mirage of sea life in that number. The grey seals have literately cleaned most of the beach fronts where they have set colonies of all Sand Dabs and Skate in close. The diet may consist of crabs sand eels and other species of fish however saying that, they are also smart enough to know when those fishing where they are that a fast meal is in the offering and have adapted to taking fish off hooks  when ever they can Striped bass are part of there diet now and will remain so as long as the numbers of seals setting up along our coast keep increasing. One conclave  of gray seals say 1000 in number and using the low end number of 4 percent body weight means that they would need at least 35,000 pounds of food every day to survive at a minim. 

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

One point made above is very true and that most seals do not eat every day , having to lay on the beach to digest what ever they just devoured for that time frame.

You seem to be either contradicting yourself, or simply playing fast and loose with the facts and figures? :headscratch:

In your top post you say gray seals eat "4-6% of their body weight daily" also "on the low side that 35lbs, on the high side is 50lbs every single day".

Then in your second post you say "most seals do not eat every day as they lay on the beach to digest their food".

So this immediately throws these figures into question.   I think you'll find the fact is, adult seals "can" eat 35-50lbs daily.  But not  necessarily 35-50lbs daily.

34 mins ago, bob_G said:

You seem to be either contradicting yourself, or simply playing fast and loose with the facts and figures? :headscratch:

In your top post you say gray seals eat "4-6% of their body weight daily" also "on the low side that 35lbs, on the high side is 50lbs every single day".

Then in your second post you say "most seals do not eat every day as they lay on the beach to digest their food".

So this immediately throws these figures into question.   I think you'll find the fact is, adult seals "can" eat 35-50lbs daily.  But not  necessarily 35-50lbs daily.

Bob no one is constricting them self's. Look at the whole post and observe I also said one study shows that seals eat 4 to 6 percent of there body weight every day , thems were the words of the study as you can understand. I also understand that at some point the seals will come out of the water to digest the food they have eating like  Mike posted Agreeing with statements as you know every one needs to digest there food at some point and the seals do it by climbing on a beach and laying in the sun while they do it. That is an observation made a long time ago from doing a little studying myself. The rational of how much is actually consumed each day by the seals needs to take in account many factors to become accurate and no one can possibly do that unless it is under lab conditions in a more selected environment . Your last sentence has a lot of merit to it which does not in some cases get into the reports one observes how ever they search out the dilemma, how much of an affect do the seals really have on the aquatic resource itself. Peace and Prayers   

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob no one is constricting them self's. Look at the whole post and observe I also said one study shows that seals eat 4 to 6 percent of there body weight every day , thems were the words of the study as you can understand. 

I just read and reread both your posts several times, and I can't find the study you're referring too?  Who authored it?

Tonight was fun. Comms extending their fishing into Saturday Night now. Gaffing 40" class and laying on the deck. After the 4th one I grabbed the spot light and lit his ass up. He was so nervous. He played dumb and him and his buddies in another boat took off. 

No EP's on the water, nothing will be done about it. You call and it gets filed and you never hear back and these folks operate without worry. 

Finally got a phone call back from Environmental Police. Seemed like a nice guy. I was told the overtime op to come out and check for illegal fishing in the off night time hours has not been approved. So that's, that. 

14 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Finally got a phone call back from Environmental Police. Seemed like a nice guy. I was told the overtime op to come out and check for illegal fishing in the off night time hours has not been approved. So that's, that. 

I wonder if he was BSing you?  There was an EPO on the canal this morning@ 4am checking everyone. Everyone had to produce a license.

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

I wonder if he was BSing you?  There was an EPO on the canal this morning@ 4am checking everyone. Everyone had to produce a license.

Young guy. Seemed genuine.

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I guess that means it’s open season for poaching anytime at night. Maybe we need to do like lobster and make it no fishing at night. 

I talked to a powers that be. This lack of approval for overtime may be a fall out after the State Police and Boston Police overtime scandals. This state is a mess. You have boat sales go through the roof. Boating accidents and deaths, more fisherman and violators, drownings etc. This Baker administration has dropped the ball. 

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Tonight was fun. Comms extending their fishing into Saturday Night now. Gaffing 40" class and laying on the deck. After the 4th one I grabbed the spot light and lit his ass up. He was so nervous. He played dumb and him and his buddies in another boat took off. 

No EP's on the water, nothing will be done about it. You call and it gets filed and you never hear back and these folks operate without worry. 

So do you think these guys are stacking fish to sell 2 days after they got them or are the just back door sales to restaurants?

either way they’re poachers that the EP’s won’t  catch.

if you catch the name of the boat, post it.

8 mins ago, Fitzy said:

So do you think these guys are stacking fish to sell 2 days after they got them or are the just back door sales to restaurants?

No, don't post it! That's only hearsay. 

18 mins ago, Fitzy said:

Who knows where those bass land. I don't see comms icing down fish. They could ice it and sell it on Monday morning and nobody would know a thing. 

20 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Young guy. Seemed genuine.

He is on assignment to the corp for a 4 hour morning shift, if it is the same officer I met and is assigned to police the Boston Area. He is a recently retired Coasty and very well spoken Real nice young officer for sure . Peace and Prayers