The Riddler

A question for Commercial Striped Bass Anglers

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 Boats off Metro Boston filling their quota un an unauthorized night. I want to know your thoughts on this Comm Bass Anglers. I know most have ethics. You think this is ok having the Commercial Fleet decimate the Bass on a Sunday Night before Midnight? What do you think their fate should be? 

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use to be open and supportive to Commercial Striped Bass Anglers....but I cannot support this. 

Edited by The Riddler

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but IMO it is an offense and is breaking the law but it is among the less objectionable offenses. I’m sure we’ll hear the usual, “take their gear, truck and boat..” But for me, it  should be a fine, maybe a couple hundred bucks, fish confiscated and suspended from using the striped bass endorsement on their permit for the week.

In fisheries management, lines must be drawn and ideally enforced. Here some guys are possibly (probably) trying to start a couple hours early. Assuming those fish are sold to a licensed dealer, that weight is accounted for. The only real result of them starting at 10 rather than midnight is the fishermen having to spend a little more time on the water or missing out on a few fish. The negative effect is relatively small. Now the effect of EPO’s having very little presence is quite a bit larger.

Stacking fish from Saturday is a bit further from the line drawn and a bit more objectionable to me.

Loading up as many fish as you can get away with from May to November, and selling them on the black/brown markets is the most objectionable. For me the back door/black market should be a priority for EPO’s but that’s opening a whole big can of worms that LEO’s seem to have little appetite for.

20 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but IMO it is an offense and is breaking the law but it is among the less objectionable offenses. I’m sure we’ll hear the usual, “take their gear, truck and boat..” But for me, it  should be a fine, maybe a couple hundred bucks, fish confiscated and suspended from using the striped bass endorsement on their permit for the week.

In fisheries management, lines must be drawn and ideally enforced. Here some guys are possibly (probably) trying to start a couple hours early. Assuming those fish are sold to a licensed dealer, that weight is accounted for. The only real result of them starting at 10 rather than midnight is the fishermen having to spend a little more time on the water or missing out on a few fish. The negative effect is relatively small. Now the effect of EPO’s having very little presence is quite a bit larger.

Stacking fish from Saturday is a bit further from the line drawn and a bit more objectionable to me.

Loading up as many fish as you can get away with from May to November, and selling them on the black/brown markets is the most objectionable. For me the back door/black market should be a priority for EPO’s but that’s opening a whole big can of worms that LEO’s seem to have little appetite for.

I think that's fair. I don't feel they should lose everything. Give them a fine per fish, confiscation, and that's that. 

I did not go out Saturday Night to look or fish because it was ******. I agree the EPO's need to do their job and make an appearance. 

I've touched upon this in a another thread, but fishing on non-commercial days and selling the next, unfortunately, is a long time practice.  There was always very little enforcement on this.  But like you said, maybe there should be more attention paid to this, however the EPOs never really enforced this much.  It's getting more of a spotlight now because the striper stock is hurting, so it gets more attention.

It wasn't limited to commercial guys.  Many recs did it for herring back in the day too...getting herring on an off day/night and fishing it the next day.  EPO enforcement was much better at cracking down at this in my experience.

2 hours ago, stifftip said:

would you like some cheese and crackers with your wine  ? 

How is he whining? (ps, note the spelling)

This has come up before. What I hate most about it is how readily it's dismissed as No Big Deal. It's only a lesser infraction. 

I get it. If they count toward the quota, the early fish don't change the final result. 

What irritates me is the casual acceptance of scofflaw behavior - and the hypocrisy it represents. 

As a rec fisherman, I think I should take two keepers on a night when they're biting good. I'll just stay home the next night. It all evens out right?

If they're not worried about enforcement of allowable fishing days, then what makes you think they're going to honor fish limits?

Selfishly, I hope they make Stripers a game fish?

I have work with/around comm guys for years and like any group, there is the good and the bad. I believe once you have demonstrated that you can not follow the rules you should have your license pulled, at least for the rest of the year, and a second offense forever. The same should be true for Rec guys that can not follow the rules... So long as it can be looked at as a "Cost of Doing Business" it will just keep happening. obviously, enforcement needs to be better in both segments... We, both Rec and Comm are taking from the commons, if we demonstrate that we can not be responsible, then we should have that right taken away.

There is no enforcement…ZERO! That’s the problem. It has been anything goes for quite some time. Many of these knuckleheads are fishing every day/night
.and keeping everything they hook! Wouldn’t be surprised if they are keeping the weeds….and to the cheese guy……That’s the attitude that got us to this point!

This has been going on for decades, so obviously nothing has changed on the enforcement front.  Like the ole saying goes:  Give an inch and they'll take a mile.  True for anything, but especially true when it's about people's money/livelihoods with little chance to get caught.

Like others have suggested, how about sending an EPO to patrol one of the many hot spots more than once in a blue moon.  It's been suggested, but maybe they take that as seriously as a reported poaching phone call.  The response: "Thanks for telling us this, your suggestion will be considered."  Uh huh.

The EPOs will post a poaching bust on their Facebook page, and people will get their one hardon for the month.  See, they're doing their job!

It all counts against the quota that continues to not be filled. If another comm gets BS you’re getting a head start, so be it. Arbitrary times and days for catching with minimal oversight from epos. They’re chasing unicorns at this point, some live in RI and some bite at night. Don’t blame the player, the game should have been called by now

15 mins ago, McNizzles said:

Don’t blame the player,

No , I do blame the player that does not follow the rules and can only hope they bring their children up to know right from wrong even though they do not.