mackerel hunter

Boston Globe Canal Article

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

This was over 15 years ago. In the south Berkshire tri state area (NY, Conn, Ma). The Ma towns were Mt Washington, Egremont, and Alford.

We put my camper in Mt Washington State Forest.

My buddy and I knocked on dozens of doors looking to gain permission to private land over the course of the summer and fall. We did gain access to some el primo deer areas. However the abutters and old guard locals simply didn't want us there. They dropped trees across access roads while we were in the woods hunting. One time someone plowed us in during a snow storm. We arrived back at the truck after dark, only to find a 5' wall of snow blocking us in.   SPs from the Great Barrington barracks pulled us over frequently for "safety checks". EPs also pulled us over every other day, or waited for us at our truck. We even had one visit my camper while we were hunting, and told the park ranger he wanted to speak with us.  When we drove to his home to speak with him, we both got our a$$ served up to us!

Essentially we were told right to our face, by the SPs, EPs and park rangers was as long as we confine our hunting activities to state land at either Mt Washington State Park or Beartown State Forest we'll be fine. If we continue to hunt private property, even with written permission, expect the harassment to continue.

Got it.  I would never just randomly knock on a door for access to some property( fishing out east).  These things take forming a relationship, and time.  That is the problem, and I bet that this approach was not taken too kindly, even though some say they gave you permission.   There is no solution for this other than spend the time to build relationships, and or access public lands. 

16 hours ago, SPCFudgie said:

Typical bull**** response blaming out of staters for the nonsense that goes on up there 

15 hours ago, SPCFudgie said:

Still haven’t seen a knife get pulled in ny or nj yet 

Get off my lawn

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

Right you are. :clap:

The first time my buddy and I went deer hunting in the Berkshires, we got our a$$ served up to us by the locals, EPs and the SPs.

We were doing nothing wrong, nor trespassing, not littering, or causing any problems.  The locals were super protective of their turf, and called in all their markers to get rid of us.  I fully understand now.

Funny thing is they’ll soon be doing the same to me as I’m moving out there in the next few months. Luckily my family is already somewhat established, but I’m expecting some looks of un-want. And I don’t blame them one bit. 
I’d imagine they wouldn’t want outsiders disrespecting the culture and polluting the environment they grew up in?  :idea:

Edited by rbart

22 hours ago, danny_a said:

Nah just the guys from Joisey and New York.  Those guys.

Surprisingly, I've only encountered nice Jersey folks at the canal. They drive a good distance to fish here.

New Yorkers? That's a different story. 

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

This was over 15 years ago. In the south Berkshire tri state area (NY, Conn, Ma). The Ma towns were Mt Washington, Egremont, and Alford.

We put my camper in Mt Washington State Forest.

My buddy and I knocked on dozens of doors looking to gain permission to private land over the course of the summer and fall. We did gain access to some el primo deer areas. However the abutters and old guard locals simply didn't want us there. They dropped trees across access roads while we were in the woods hunting. One time someone plowed us in during a snow storm. We arrived back at the truck after dark, only to find a 5' wall of snow blocking us in.   SPs from the Great Barrington barracks pulled us over frequently for "safety checks". EPs also pulled us over every other day, or waited for us at our truck. We even had one visit my camper while we were hunting, and told the park ranger he wanted to speak with us.  When we drove to his home to speak with him, we both got our a$$ served up to us!

Essentially we were told right to our face, by the SPs, EPs and park rangers was as long as we confine our hunting activities to state land at either Mt Washington State Park or Beartown State Forest we'll be fine. If we continue to hunt private property, even with written permission, expect the harassment to continue.

Those were the days! We still had a blast. When my kids were younger I thought they’d sprout antler one year  they ate so much venison and moose.

2 hours ago, capecodder said:

Those were the days! We still had a blast. When my kids were younger I thought they’d sprout antler one year  they ate so much venison and moose.

Capecodder,

I was hoping you'd chime in on this. :)

I'm sure you'll agree, that was the best deer hunting we ever saw in our life!  I'm also sure that's why we put up with that bravo sierra all those years.  We always figured if they could have done something, they would have.  It was all just intimidation and harassment.

However, each time I see a doberman pinscher, it reminds me of that morning, the last day of deer season on that remote hillside. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Memories .....had a 20 year run of hunting East Tenn. family and friends "on the approval list" an area half the size of Rhode Island...I was told "to be the law" on my woodland rambles.....had a 15 year run in Foster..was incredible...quite a bit smaller ramble....1500 acres or ...so....was to report on any activity...incredible country, game, and genuine folks.........both regions....priceless                                 ya either on the loop or off

Edited by trapper
add

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Capecodder,

I was hoping you'd chime in on this. :)

I'm sure you'll agree, that was the best deer hunting we ever saw in our life!  I'm also sure that's why we put up with that bravo sierra all those years.  We always figured if they could have done something, they would have.  It was all just intimidation and harassment.

However, each time I see a doberman pinscher, it reminds me of that morning, the last day of deer season on that remote hillside. 

I forgot about that last day, for years we thought it was coyotes. We had it pretty good. All we did was mind our own business and keep our mouths shut and they couldn’t touch us.

1 min ago, capecodder said:

I forgot about that last day, for years we thought it was coyotes. We had it pretty good. All we did was mind our own business and keep our mouths shut and they couldn’t touch us.

One of life's most important lessons. Learning to keep your mouth shut.  :niffty:

I was fortunate as a child, I got to hang around with grandfather and father all the time when I was about 7 or 8. I was told to keep my mouth shut and my ears open. I was told if I ever repeated anything I heard I would never be allowed to hang around with them again. This was way way before the saying came out “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”. This is why the the majority of my friends are a bit older than I. Best free education I got in my life. I should write a book some day and  change all the name to protect the guilty.