mackerel hunter

Boston Globe Canal Article

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

As soon as he mentioned they were going for the June new moon, I knew they got skunked.  

My paper on the newsstand out here must be different. No picture of a guy making a cast. Front page is the guy looking through binoculars with his cruiser in the background. The inside pic is of a few fishermen in low light with the Sag in the background as an "egret" flies by.  

5 hours ago, night owl said:

The writer of this article is a total idiot! And can someone please donate a spool of line to the "canal veteran" with 45 years of experience in the article please. He's desperately in need of it. 

Screenshot_20210719-083453-035.png

Low on line? Sure. But I'm more concerned he's gonna start reeling in upside down

IXOY25UV2M2WYNVL2EKDR5224U.jpg.8054c0535ab8b9a618f16e8e4e0689af.jpg

Why don’t somebody do a special about what is really going on not only at the canal but all over. Many once beautiful areas for fishing and family time have been overrun and trashed by scumbags with  no respect for the environment , rules or our laws and very little enforcement. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, rst3 said:

Low on line? Sure. But I'm more concerned he's gonna start reeling in upside down

IXOY25UV2M2WYNVL2EKDR5224U.jpg.8054c0535ab8b9a618f16e8e4e0689af.jpg

Of course he is. That's like low hanging fruit. :laugh: 

I only made it past the caption before it pissed me off. 

“Territorial locals.” What is this, a foreign concept? Locals in any small, tight-knit community, whether it be beach or mountain town, have always been territorial, protective, and proud. That’s how things work. 

But this is a different animal. Most sane people are fed up with the literal garbage out of staters bring with them.  Parking on peoples’ lawns, casting over heads, mugging people, fist fights… just pure lack of consideration for the culture, resource and overall environment. 

Locals have every right to protect and preserve what’s widely considered sacred, regardless of what some idiot yellow- platers have to say.

21 mins ago, rbart said:

“Territorial locals.” What is this, a foreign concept? Locals in any small, tight-knit community, whether it be beach or mountain town, have always been territorial, protective, and proud. That’s how things work. 

But this is a different animal. Most sane people are fed up with the literal garbage out of staters bring with them.  Parking on peoples’ lawns, casting over heads, mugging people, fist fights… just pure lack of consideration for the culture, resource and overall environment. 

Locals have every right to protect and preserve what’s widely considered sacred, regardless of what some idiot yellow- platers have to say.

Right you are. :clap:

The first time my buddy and I went deer hunting in the Berkshires, we got our a$$ served up to us by the locals, EPs and the SPs.

We were doing nothing wrong, nor trespassing, not littering, or causing any problems.  The locals were super protective of their turf, and called in all their markers to get rid of us.  I fully understand now.

51 mins ago, rbart said:

Typical bull**** response blaming out of staters for the nonsense that goes on up there 

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Right you are. :clap:

The first time my buddy and I went deer hunting in the Berkshires, we got our a$$ served up to us by the locals, EPs and the SPs.

We were doing nothing wrong, nor trespassing, not littering, or causing any problems.  The locals were super protective of their turf, and called in all their markers to get rid of us.  I fully understand now.

Was this 'recent'?  Unposted private property can cause problems, and other areas that can be sketchy are the  municipal watershed areas:  Pittsfield, Lenox, Hinsdale.

I've not hunted in quite a few years now, but I think I understand that the watersheds have lifted many of the restrictions once in place restricting access.  I know from riding the mountain bike all through the areas that signage is almost non existent.  But if you go to the state properties, I've never heard of any trouble at those locations with access. 

Most locals don't hunt state properties, they have permission from owners of tracts of land,  some apple orchards. Etc.  And stick to those locations. 

10 mins ago, SPCFudgie said:

Typical bull**** response blaming out of staters for the nonsense that goes on up there 

Nah just the guys from Joisey and New York.  Those guys.

15 hours ago, chisler said:

Was this 'recent'?  Unposted private property can cause problems, and other areas that can be sketchy are the  municipal watershed areas:  Pittsfield, Lenox, Hinsdale.

I've not hunted in quite a few years now, but I think I understand that the watersheds have lifted many of the restrictions once in place restricting access.  I know from riding the mountain bike all through the areas that signage is almost non existent.  But if you go to the state properties, I've never heard of any trouble at those locations with access. 

Most locals don't hunt state properties, they have permission from owners of tracts of land,  some apple orchards. Etc.  And stick to those locations. 

This was over 15 years ago. In the south Berkshire tri state area (NY, Conn, Ma). The Ma towns were Mt Washington, Egremont, and Alford.

We put my camper in Mt Washington State Forest.

My buddy and I knocked on dozens of doors looking to gain permission to private land over the course of the summer and fall. We did gain access to some el primo deer areas. However the abutters and old guard locals simply didn't want us there. They dropped trees across access roads while we were in the woods hunting. One time someone plowed us in during a snow storm. We arrived back at the truck after dark, only to find a 5' wall of snow blocking us in.   SPs from the Great Barrington barracks pulled us over frequently for "safety checks". EPs also pulled us over every other day, or waited for us at our truck. We even had one visit my camper while we were hunting, and told the park ranger he wanted to speak with us.  When we drove to his home to speak with him, we both got our a$$ served up to us!

Essentially we were told right to our face, by the SPs, EPs and park rangers was as long as we confine our hunting activities to state land at either Mt Washington State Park or Beartown State Forest we'll be fine. If we continue to hunt private property, even with written permission, expect the harassment to continue.

Edited by bob_G