mackerel hunter

Boston Globe Canal Article

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Sure enough, we had been on our bikes for just a minute or two when my older son shouted “Look!” and we saw what all the fuss was about. In a small pocket along the shoreline, a dozen large herring were darting back and forth in a panic, like they were trying to find the corner of a round room.

I must have the wrong bike, can someone sell me your "see fish in 2 minutes" bike?

The writer of this article is a total idiot! And can someone please donate a spool of line to the "canal veteran" with 45 years of experience in the article please. He's desperately in need of it. 

Screenshot_20210719-083453-035.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is a new low for the Globe.  Not sure why I even subscribe to it anymore.

Putting this article on page 1, and above the fold no less,  tells my they are desperate for new readership.  Clearly, this story belongs in the Metro or Sports section.  It is not news worthy.  

That said.....it was interesting to read that Matt Bryant's grandfather was the Charlie in Cape Cod Charlies.   

Edited by Joe G

Yeah, kind of a nothing burger.

I do agree the news must be thin these days.

Case in point; the viral article from Minnesota about feral goldfish (with click bait thumb of a koi). That frigging article went through my FB news feed at least 20 times, was carried by the smallest papers up to NPR and CBS. I saw it on our local CBS affiliate as well as the national news.

Goldfish. 

I guess if they're reporting on goldfish and not civil unrest, that's a good thing.

I was expecting it to be an article about how he went to the canal for the first time and caught monster bass and be a giant spit burn. I’m glad that he reported on his two days of skunkings. 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

This is a new low for the Globe.  Not sure why I even subscribe to it anymore.

Putting this article on page 1, and above the fold no less,  tells my they are desperate for new readership.  Clearly, this story belongs in the Metro or Sports section.  It is not news worthy.  

That said.....it was interesting to read that Matt Bryant's grandfather was the Charlie in Cape Cod Charlies.   

Joe I had the article sent to me this morning from MR. Hunt and I thought it was a good article on expecting to make a killing and getting skunked. It also was of interest that Charlie Bryant grandfather to Matt Bryant was the original owner of Cape Cod Charlies hence the name is correct. It is a Human interest story for sure , more so than a fishing story all though that is what it is about. Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Did anyone actually read the article? The guy said he had no idea what he was doing and that they caught no fish and had a frustrating experience

He was being involved with his sons when they got in his face to go fishing which is not a bad idea given all of the challenges these kids are facing to day WE need to get more children involved in the sport of fishing , but teach them the guiding rules of sportsmanship, ethics and how to respect the resource at the same time.Peace and Prayers

3 hours ago, night owl said:

The writer of this article is a total idiot! And can someone please donate a spool of line to the "canal veteran" with 45 years of experience in the article please. He's desperately in need of it. 

Screenshot_20210719-083453-035.png

Hey maybe he just made a wicked long cast.....