55555s

Battle II 2500 binding/sticking under load

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

We have a battle II that sees moderate use for a few years now.  Its been great.  Solid little reel, very happy with it.  LMB, fluke, kingfish, snappers.  Nothing big or gear bburning.

It is starting to 'stick' or catch just a little when reeling under load (say, a 1/2oz bucktail + teaser gulp).  It spins freely and great with no lure on, but upon reelin in (and especially with a fish on) it has a stickiness or resistance to start spinning.  

Gears, bearings, or other?

Checking the collective brain trust here if this is a known thing and if there is a remedy.

Thanks in advance

@scoobydoo

Going to kick Scooby, since he's forgotten more about reels and drag stacks and grease and bearings than I ever knew.

I havent stripped it down or done anything to it as of yet.  Waiting to hear back.

If you haven’t already, try cleaning and greasing/oiling internals. Grease for friction surfaces, oil for bearings. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Check the bushing in the line roller. Make sure thats cleaned and oiled. If it freely spins but has issues under load its often the line roller.

Edited by Inception

It only hangs or gets sluggish under load? 

Or is it anytime load or not... But at certain points of the oscillation. 

4 hours ago, Seadogg said:

If you haven’t already, try cleaning and greasing/oiling internals. Grease for friction surfaces, oil for bearings. 

What he said?

HH

6 hours ago, 55555s said:

We have a battle II that sees moderate use for a few years now.  Its been great.  Solid little reel, very happy with it.  LMB, fluke, kingfish, snappers.  Nothing big or gear bburning.

It is starting to 'stick' or catch just a little when reeling under load (say, a 1/2oz bucktail + teaser gulp).  It spins freely and great with no lure on, but upon reelin in (and especially with a fish on) it has a stickiness or resistance to start spinning.  

Gears, bearings, or other?

Checking the collective brain trust here if this is a known thing and if there is a remedy.

Thanks in advance

Time for a clean/regresse.

They don't come with much lubrication from the factory.

HH

My money says it's the gears.  The gears in the original Battle over time don't stand up even to light-moderate drag.  AFAIK, the gear technology in the B II is pretty much the same.

6 hours ago, 55555s said:

OK, thank you.  I am going to check the line roller, then re-oil bearings, and then re-grease gears.

Many years ago when I used to fish with a coffee grinder the first thing I did before I even put line on the rail I took it home to the side of the handle off the side plate and greased it put it back together and I enjoyed fishing.

Lived happily ever after until I got tired of them and I went to a winch.

Then it was happily ever after again.

HH