Evil-Bay

Cost of rebuilding a rod?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have an 8' 1pc surf rod that I would like to convert it to an inshore rod by moving the reel seat down 5-6".  And possibly replace all the guides to k-guides....

Anyone able to tell me what the possible cost of doing this might be?

Take the cost of a new custom rod, subtract the price of a blank, double the labor costs.

You're better off starting fresh.

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, Evil-Bay said:

So the cost or rebuilding a rod is basically the cost of building a new rod?

No, it’s a lot more. Double at min and triple for what you want. 

Edited by Drew C.

We have no idea how your rod is built, so we are giving you generalizations. Doing it yourself is the only way to do it economically. You can turn down your rear grip, if it's a full grip, and use the extra length you are removing as your arbor for your reel seat replacement than built out from there. Done it before and it worked great it will take considerable time to clean up the old blank, you can build out a new blank in the time to clean up the old one if you want it to look like new, hiding the blank under a wrap takes time too, anyway you look at it, time and labor will cost you unless you do it yourself.

I do this professionally and it's quite costly due to the labor hours required.  At a minimum it will take 15-20 hours of labor and materials and supplies that can be $50-$75 depending on the guides chosen.  If you value your labor at $15-$20 per hour,  you are looking at $225-$400.  Like they said above, you are better off  going with a new custom rod.