ifishthebadspots

Beach parking issue

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Is there a way to dispute a Dennis parking ticket where I arrived too early when no one was at the gate, and didn't leave on time? I got stuck in the flats for a bit and as I came back I found the dreaded orange envelope.

Another question, unrelated - could towns restrict beach fishing? Would state law supersede their rules? I feel like fishing in crappy weather when no people are there shouldn't be off limits, even in the swim area.

Many coastal towns feel differently. Issuing parking citations and collecting fines can be a more effective way of generating revenue and controlling parking than placing an attendant and collecting daily/hourly fees. 

Parking lot attendants have to be hired and paid hourly (providing they show up).   In Bourne for instance, you go to town hall, purchase a beach sticker, and you're good to go. You can spend your whole day on the beach for the whole summer.  The Bourne PD swing through on their routine patrol every couple hours. If they see a car without a beach sticker, they issue a $50 ticket.  

As far as generating revenue, it's a win-win for the town all around.

It’s right in their regulations, no parking without a sticker or pass during beach operating hours. No fishing in designated swimming areas as well. Don’t think you can fight those

4F92B80D-02A1-4C90-94C2-96F85ACB8EE8.jpeg

789F649C-C5AF-45E4-A05D-F75936F91AE3.jpeg

Is it a $50 fine, or just the cost of a daily pass? Pre R2D2 at Sesuit you'd get an orange envelope with VIOLATION on it if you got there before the kid, but if you paid the price of a daily in a timely manner all was good. Kind of a motivator I guess.

I’m not entirely sure, we’ve got stickers for the beaches and the east side of Sesuit and I haven’t been a gate attendant in over 20 years. I used to let it slide if the vehicles were there before I was and they were out within an hour or two. If the supervisors showed up then all bets were off (this is when Harry Allen was beach coordinator, the Beach Nazis lol)

It's $50, there isn't even an option on the ticket for less, they are all $50-100 for various parking infractions.

Regarding town beach fishing rules, this is where I find it interesting. I always heard that when there's a conflict town vs state, state law prevails. I'm curious how true that is. As we know, the state grants us the right to fish anywhere below the high tide watermark if it's accessible without trespassing.

Same with ramps.............kinda. If a town has used a state money to repair/upgrade a ramp they cannot deny non-residents use of the ramp until the funds are fully paid back. They do not however have to let you park in the lot. 

1 hour ago, ifishthebadspots said:

As we know, the state grants us the right to fish anywhere below the high tide watermark if it's accessible without trespassing.

If you were parked without a beach sticker then you were trespassing.  Just like if you’re parked in someone’s driveway without permission.

10 mins ago, Fitzy said:

If you were parked without a beach sticker then you were trespassing.  Just like if you’re parked in someone’s driveway without permission.

When I accessed the beach I wasn't trespassing, as those were not what they call posted hours. I think these two issues are not related in my case, I get why I was fined, it's just aggravating.

Fishing is a different problem, as I could be dropped off or have a sticker and still not allowed to fish the beach going by town's rules. I think what they claim is baloney.

I fish Brewster several times a year and have been ticketed.  I also take a trip through the salt marsh in Eastham to the inlet with friends or kids from Scouts once a year and have been ticketed there.   In all instances it’s been on me, as the rules are posted and I’ve either missed them (parked on the wrong place in Eastham) or made a conscious decision because I was bailing fish and was willing to eat the ticket.  
I buy an annual pass now for Brewster and hope it helps them with the never ending maintenance and reconstruction on the lots and flooding controls.  I can come and go without concern about tickets as well and the leave of mind is worth it. 

Pretty sure you need to square up with them when they arrive. All the time between them arriving and you paying is a window of time with a parking ticket risk. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, passiton said:

I fish Brewster several times a year and have been ticketed.  I also take a trip through the salt marsh in Eastham to the inlet with friends or kids from Scouts once a year and have been ticketed there.   In all instances it’s been on me, as the rules are posted and I’ve either missed them (parked on the wrong place in Eastham) or made a conscious decision because I was bailing fish and was willing to eat the ticket.  
I buy an annual pass now for Brewster and hope it helps them with the never ending maintenance and reconstruction on the lots and flooding controls.  I can come and go without concern about tickets as well and the leave of mind is worth it. 

I live in Yarmouth, so I basically have no real fishing options. Non-resident sticker is what, $360? That's just absurd. I think we should have some better reciprocity between towns on the Cape.

On this note, why does Dennis have lower taxes while offering better facilities? They have to be gouging elsewhere, probably obsessing with these shoddy parking fees.

Edited by ifishthebadspots

10 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I live in Yarmouth, so I basically have no real fishing options. Non-resident sticker is what, $360? That's just absurd. I think we should have some better reciprocity between towns on the Cape.

On this note, why does Dennis have lower taxes while offering better facilities? They have to be gouging elsewhere, probably obsessing with these shoddy parking fees.

A universal type beach sticker was tried many years ago with not all towns doing it and it was scrapped quickly.

10 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

That’s precisely why they have lower taxes and better facilities. Their money maker is the beach and harbor parking plus the fines for non-compliance. I feel your pain as far as town to town reciprocity goes but I can hardly complain about the taxes in Dennis being a resident.