Outback stability and rollover

1 min ago, BillZ said:

The whole exercise takes on different dimensions with  bigger users,  add 5" & probably 30-50 lbs to the person & you wouldn't be able to do most of that.....

An even better reason for everyone to get out and practice self-rescue.  He was doing this for his own purposes and I decided to record it.  

47 mins ago, cheech said:

Nice video, the gent seemed quite comfortable out there. Was he an experienced kayaker, gymnast/athlete type, or an ordinary Joe? 

Did the Outback take on any water?

He's been kayaking for about 4 or 5 years.  He plays soccer and is in good shape for his age but beyond that an ordinary Joe.  We regularly jump in the water with the kids when we are just out cruising around that lake so we are both accustomed to climbing in and out of kayaks.  This was a brand new kayak so he wanted to experience how hard it would be to right it and climb back in.  

practicing self rescue goes without saying, regardless of yak or conditions.

Know how to do it.

Ive dumped my yaks 3 times over the years. None of them had the yak upside down, I kind of jumped off when i knew the balance point was gone. that way I saved my gear and jumped off close enough to literally grab the yak and hold onto it until I got myself back into it. I also almost flipped when I tried to land my first bass over 50", getting it into yak almost put me in the drink

I keep a length of paracord tied to my handle of my outback. if it were to ever be upside down, I simply grab the cord, throw it over the yak (while its upside down), then brace my legs  against the side and pull the cord, it will flip the yak back upright, its a pain in the rear end, but it works. This is also dependant on gear too. the more gear under water the tougher it is to flip doing this.