RAW

0400, every one skunked , beautiful morning

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hate to be that guy,  but I am having a strong season .  I am fishing in the Harpswell area from a boat.   I just fished three days straight and hit them pretty hard catching 15 +/- fish per outing.  That's very good for me.   The fish are in the 22-28 range and pretty fat.  Today I boated a couple of 28-29" fish. Then it happened.   I latched into a monster and battled her for a few minutes.  Unfortunately, she then she went on a strong run and my line snapped.  I don't know what happened?   It was 20# mono and definitely not a knot failure.   I am having good results with both live Macs and soft plastics.   On the water for sunrise and having the best results on the outgoing.   Equal success on ledges and shallow muddy coves.

Keep at it.  I hope that each of you get into them on your next trip.

Edited by Topside2
typo

Had a solid afternoon and night tonight 

25 fish in the boat biggest a fat 28

mix of live Mac and chunk after dark 

concentrating on incoming onto sandy flats, has worked well all summer 

a few bigger fish to 40 had by companion boat group this week 

Jim 

3 hours ago, Topside2 said:

I hate to be that guy,  but I am having a strong season .  I am fishing in the Harpswell area from a boat.   I just fished three days straight and hit them pretty hard catching 15 +/- fish per outing.  That's very good for me.   The fish are in the 22-28 range and pretty fat.  Today I boated a couple of 28-29" fish. Then it happened.   I latched into a monster and battled her for a few minutes.  Unfortunately, she then she went on a strong run and my line snapped.  I don't know what happened?   It was 20# mono and definitely not a knot failure.   I am having good results with both live Macs and soft plastics.   On the water for sunrise and having the best results on the outgoing.   Equal success on ledges and shallow muddy coves.

Keep at it.  I hope that each of you get I to them on your next trip.

Maybe that Great White you hooked into?

6 hours ago, Topside2 said:

I hate to be that guy,  but I am having a strong season . 

Me as well.  Have no reason, nor motivation to gloat and post everyday.  Haven't been skunked since June 2, currently on a run of 41 consecutive successful trips with an overall average of 7 fish per trip.  Overall size up this year, but numbers down 25% YTD vs 2020. 

No wailing and gnashing of teeth up here...

7 hours ago, jimbighead said:

Had a solid afternoon and night tonight 

25 fish in the boat biggest a fat 28

mix of live Mac and chunk after dark 

concentrating on incoming onto sandy flats, has worked well all summer 

a few bigger fish to 40 had by companion boat group this week 

Jim 

Are the big fish being taken at night?

Great replies from those that are catching. Still slow for shore fishermen here. There are a few places for the young guns who walk o n rocks :sarc:. Most everyone in my group is the other side of 70! The areas you guys are talking about is the areas probably getting pogies/ mackerel and has more structure. Its good to here that there are  bigger fish to be had. When live lining ,fresh cut chunks and clams are working, it's a bummer. Show us some pics so we know what they look like!!!:rav:

1 hour ago, Topside2 said:

Are the big fish being taken at night?

Most of my better fish are at night, on chunk,  live seems to only work ok in very shallow water at night.

Jim

2 mins ago, Nbourque said:

From the reports I’m seeing on this forum it seems as though the fishing is better north of Portland?

I agree, unless guys this way are not reporting, but I doubt it. That trend and further up the coast has been the trend after mid June. But we used to have them all season, sporadic but okay.(so I took a few days to strip bathroom of 4 layers of wallpaper!) bad fishing is far better:rav:

Interesting shift in the summer pattern from what it was a few years ago.  Seems like most of the fish that are too small to eat an adult pogy moved north to the eastern half of Casco Bay or the Kennebec area.  I know that a ton of work has been done to improve river herring runs in this area, so I’m wondering if this may have something to do with it.  Adult pogies are great for mid 30” and bigger stripers, but a 20” striper has no problem eating an adult herring.  Plus I’m sure the stripers “know” there will be huge numbers of young herring dropping down the rivers in the fall.  

From Portland south we have pogies and sandeels, but mackerel are way down from what they used to be, so it seems like there’s a gap in the bait size range.  Also seems like fewer pogies along the southern coast this year, more kept on moving north. 

Or it could be totally unrelated to any of these factors.  Been fishing for stripers for about 25 years now, and they regularly remind me that I don’t have a clue what’s really going on!

I fish mostly from shore and have had no problem finding fish in numbers everyday/night since June 1.  There is so much bait around its crazy. Large schools of pogies, macks and herring can be found easily.   I haven't had to purchase any lobster bait this year because there is so much of it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, TwoLightsKid said:

Or it could be totally unrelated to any of these factors.  Been fishing for stripers for about 25 years now, and they regularly remind me that I don’t have a clue what’s really going on!

One of the few comments in this entire thread worth remembering.  I could say the same, and raise that that 25 years  to 45 with the same clueless realization...

Edited by Roccus7