RAW

0400, every one skunked , beautiful morning

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Up until 2018, I would agree 1000% with the late ebb comment, but things have slowly done a complete 180° in many of my spots and now I'm doing better on mid-flood!??  Go figure, but highlights the need for "continuing education".  ...

shhh, the u tubers are watching in and need content. ;) 

2 mins ago, MartyK said:

Seaweed was brutal this AM.   

That's why I'm fishing inside , same weeds out front. At least seagulls are getting active. everyday things seems slightly better, cloud cover has helped:rav:

I have definitely been part of the pity party this season, apparently being at the wrong place, at the wrong tide, or the wrong time with the wrong bait/lure most of the summer.  Saturday was no exception, with none of my usual spots producing, but while running back up river on the turn of the tide, I saw terns working a flat I had never thought of fishing.  I put my trolling motor down in @ 2 feet of water and cast out a bone spook.  For the next hour, it was nearly every cast, and so much fun on a light spinning rod and a topwater lure. It should have been the wrong time of day, and the wrong tide, but for once, everything was right.  

Two very good friends did well last evening. Ist reported a forty fish evening drifting chunk macks in mouth of local estuary. Fish were mostly in that 20" to 24" size and very fat. Second reports getting nicer fish in estuary that dumps into Casco bay. There pogies were the attraction but my friend caught eight fish on a black jiggy fly. largest was 32" with two others nearly the same. Said he lost a nice one too.

I haven't been out in a couple weeks due to a medical issue, but these are the best reports I've had in a while. Guess there are a few around. Hopefully I can get after 'em this weekend.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Haha, I think it was five fish I caught total, not eight and only one that was in the 30” range, but that 32” fish was well worth the hour and fifteen minute drive north of Portland and it was nice to check out a spot I’ve never been and have luck—that’s a solid river up there that seems to have great potential. Was honestly shocked that fish in that class went that far above Portland, but hey, maybe they’re getting all the nice fish while we’re stuck with crappy fishing in the southern part.  

Edited by Ftyer

25 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Haha, I think it was five fish I caught, not eight, but that 32” fish was well worth the hour and fifteen minute drive north of Portland and it was nice to check out a spot I’ve never been and have luck—that’s a solid river up there that seems to have great potential. Was honestly shocked that fish in that class went that far above Portland, but hey, maybe they’re getting all the nice fish while we’re stuck with crappy fishing in the southern part.  

You would be surprised how far north they go. I am from the Old Town area originally, right next to the Milford dam on the Penobscot, I have seen some nice pics of fish  from up there this year, it is also 45 miles inland from the ocean...I have seen a big change in the last few years as far as alot of nice fish caught north of Portland, some nice rivers that dump into the ocean...I have had some health issues this year, and the meds I am on I cant drive, let alone think, but I am seriously thinking of going up for a trip...the water levels are much better for this time of year than usual. I also enjoy finding new spots as well. 

7 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

You would be surprised how far north they go. I am from the Old Town area originally, right next to the Milford dam on the Penobscot, I have seen some nice pics of fish  from up there this year, it is also 45 miles inland from the ocean...I have seen a big change in the last few years as far as alot of nice fish caught north of Portland, some nice rivers that dump into the ocean...I have had some health issues this year, and the meds I am on I cant drive, let alone think, but I am seriously thinking of going up for a trip...the water levels are much better for this time of year than usual. I also enjoy finding new spots as well. 

Wow, that’s almost double the distance north that I was fishing and I figured I was near the upper limit. It was a great trip and the couple fish I found were icing on the cake. Needless to say, I’ll be focusing my efforts north a lot more now as the first trip was good, and even if all I do is get skunked, it at least is a change of pace from getting the too-frequent skunkings in the southern part of the state. I appreciate the response and hope that the health issues subside for you. 

12 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Wow, that’s almost double the distance north that I was fishing and I figured I was near the upper limit. It was a great trip and the couple fish I found were icing on the cake. Needless to say, I’ll be focusing my efforts north a lot more now as the first trip was good, and even if all I do is get skunked, it at least is a change of pace from getting the too-frequent skunkings in the southern part of the state. I appreciate the response and hope that the health issues subside for you. 

Yeah, quite amazing as well to be 45 miles inland of the ocean, thats along time for the tides to change, and in between. You can also be pulling nice smallmouths as well as stripers out of the same spots...It is a beautiful river, cant wait to retire, and head back up, no CROWDS either...

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

Haha, I think it was five fish I caught, not eight, but that 32” fish was well worth the hour and fifteen minute drive north of Portland and it was nice to check out a spot I’ve never been and have luck—that’s a solid river up there that seems to have great potential. Was honestly shocked that fish in that class went that far above Portland, but hey, maybe they’re getting all the nice fish while we’re stuck with crappy fishing in the southern part.  

Send them back!!!! They past go without stopping:rav:

1 hour ago, RAW said:

Send them back!!!! They past go without stopping:rav:

Haha, I think it was just a dose of good luck more than an actual hint of a healthy fishery. I’ve been taking plenty of skunkings in the southern part of the state recently so I wanted to switch things up and just happened to find a few fish in the process. There was a little bit of bait around it seemed, but I didn’t see any surface feeding or anything that would have lead me to believe there were loads of fish around, unfortunately, and I also got like five fish in almost five hours...that ain’t exactly good fishing to me. 

4 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Yeah, quite amazing as well to be 45 miles inland of the ocean, thats along time for the tides to change, and in between. You can also be pulling nice smallmouths as well as stripers out of the same spots...It is a beautiful river, cant wait to retire, and head back up, no CROWDS either...

I fish the Kennebec regularly, and I sometimes fish for stripers a long way from the salt.  Earlier this summer, at one of my regular spots, I made two casts and got a nice smallmouth the first cast and a nice schoolie on the second cast.   I think it was the largest smallmouth I have ever caught; it was noticeably bigger than the striper. 

4 mins ago, Baby Magnum said:

I fish the Kennebec regularly, and I sometimes fish for stripers a long way from the salt.  Earlier this summer, at one of my regular spots, I made two casts and got a nice smallmouth the first cast and a nice schoolie on the second cast.   I think it was the largest smallmouth I have ever caught; it was noticeably bigger than the striper. 

Nice, I haven't fished that river in a long time. At one time, on the Penoby, you could catch salmon as well, never knew what you would get. Since they have removed the dams, really don't know what you will catch...The smallies fight like hell too...I am in southern maine, and have been down this way 25 years, Will move back up there after I retire here in a couple years,, cant wait to scope out all my old spots again, especially with the dams gone. Early spring, big trout are in the Penobscot as well near the mouths of small brooks that dump in..I have some incredible spots down east as well.